Prefab Sump Kits (DIY)

Biotope Biologist

I am doing some research on sumps for my 12 gallon bookcase and stumbled across this:

https://www.fijicube.com/products/sump-baffle-kit-10-gallon-fiji-cube

Now for the longest time I have just been building my own sumps with the help of a nearby tap plastics or the glass repair panels at Home Depot (they are the perfect width for a 10 gallon or 20 long)

These products have me thinking I can be CHEAP and LAZY which is, for me, an ideal world. So with that having been said…

-Has anyone used this DIY kit or others like it?

-Does it create weird backflow issues or the dreaded dry pump runs?

- Any other concerns I may not have thought of?

• Like 1

I haven't but assume it's the same concerns as standard sumps. I have yet to find a negative review on them which is saying something. I sure have thought about it hard though....Their 40 breeder insert was calling me last month. The possibilities intrigue me. 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 2

Excuse my noobiness but would it be possible to hook up multiple tanks to one of these sump systems ? 

if you can hook up multiple tanks for one sump system is there a rough estimate for a ratio between sump volume and fish tank volume ?

• Like 1

In my reef keeping days, I used a couple of these to make my own sumps. I used one for a 20 long and another for a 40 breeder. They were not from this particular company/ person, but very similar. I did not have any issues with them, but I remember the web page saying that they were made for Aqueon tanks, which I had bought at Petco to use. 

I've used DIY kits before, and I can't recommend them enough!  In my mind there is absolutely no reason to pay for the prefab acrylic sumps.  They are just so expensive!  The DIY kits are the best of both worlds, cost effective and functional, while not being too much work.  If you use the GE 100% silicone for acrylic sheeting (in the red tube), you will even get a good bond with the acrylic directly. 

I've liked the kids from this eBay seller in the past.  He now even has adjustable gates in some of his designs, which was the one piece of kit I thought was missing from the DIY versions.  The only down side is if you have an unusual stand size, as everything is set to go into Aqueon tanks.  Also, if you are looking at building a bigger sum, over a 40B, then you are out of luck too most often.

If you go for it, I'll be curious what your thoughts end up being on the results.

• Like 1

I really liked at the end of the bulk reef supply video they showed that the 1st black baffle can be turned 45 degrees and you can have the filter sock in the corner. This frees up SO much room for the refugium part of it where I intend to grow macro algaes and let the baby shrimp/hermit crabs hangout away from hungry eyes. The gates sound interesting. I’ll have to look into that as my intention is to create “tidal shifts” with varying water level and salinity between 1.008-1.015. 

(I’m not sure if I can tag that video as they are an online competitor to the coop: “DIY sumps for saltwater”)

Seriously wish I found these sooner as those aforementioned glass panels from Home Depot are brittle and I am not patient or tactile- so I buy 4 extra.

On 9/21/2022 at 5:50 PM, Lvkas said:

Excuse my noobiness but would it be possible to hook up multiple tanks to one of these sump systems ? 

if you can hook up multiple tanks for one sump system is there a rough estimate for a ratio between sump volume and fish tank volume ?

No need to excuse a good question!

Yes you can hook up a sump to multiple tanks. You will likely want some sort of auto water changer if you do this so you don’t have to run around checking water levels.

I don’t think there is a golden rule for it. Surface area is king as far as any filtration system goes which is why I’m willing to have a filter the size of my display tank. If I do decide to get a puffer for this tank, I will need it. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

I really liked at the end of the bulk reef supply video they showed that the 1st black baffle can be turned 45 degrees and you can have the filter sock in the corner.

If you look through the products I linked to, that supplier has a corner sock setup.  It's saves a ton of space!  I have one of those running, and I love it!

On 9/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

The gates sound interesting. I’ll have to look into that as my intention is to create “tidal shifts” with varying water level and salinity between 1.008-1.015.

What a fun sounding project!!!  So, tidal shifts could be accomplished with a second small pump set lower on a timer.  Or a second tank to be pumped slowly into the display, but you'd need an overflow from the sump to the auxiliary tank so there wouldn't be a chance of a flood.  For the salinity changes...  I have no idea, and I look forward to hearing what you come up with!  If this is for your mangroves, Reef Builders has a video out from the aquarium in Nouméa, New Caledonia.  They have a mangrove display with tidal water changes.  Larger scale, but still cool to see.

• Love 1