What DIY tools have you made to make your hobby easier?

AllFishNoBrakes

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2022 at 10:33 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I guess I could show off this bad boy, too. 

This is how I filled water back into tanks before I had a Python. The pump would sit in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, and has an adjuster for how fast the water runs through it. Water went in the pump, up the tubing, and then the pvc was built to hang over the rim of a tank. The caps on the end of the apparatus has a ton of small holes drilled in it, acting like a spray bar instead of just pushing water straight down or out the sides. Diffused the water to not disturb the substrate. Fill up the 5 gallon bucket with water and the pump, start filling a second bucket in the sink, turn on the pump, and then keep dumping water into the bucket with the pump until the tank is full. 

I actually just sold this apparatus to a co-worker who also got into fish keeping. Charged them a fraction of the overall price to make without labor, but felt cool passing on something that helped me early on to help out a friend. 

B5BCEBDB-0A62-4CD5-9752-D85B2D86F783.jpeg

8D5339FA-03AB-4012-82C4-4B476DBFF409.jpeg

EBD64989-E631-4A23-A909-4E3095497107.jpeg

I know this is an older thread, but I am interested in making something like this for speeding up the refilling part of water changes. I use an RO/tap water blend in buckets, so I don't want to use a Python.

My question is, do you think I could install a ball valve where the hose meets the pipe, or would it put stress on a pond pump's motor to have the flow restricted like that?

On 7/7/2024 at 11:08 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I know this is an older thread, but I am interested in making something like this for speeding up the refilling part of water changes. I use an RO/tap water blend in buckets, so I don't want to use a Python.

My question is, do you think I could install a ball valve where the hose meets the pipe, or would it put stress on a pond pump's motor to have the flow restricted like that?

You mean like this?  My mixing barrel and filler.  When I eventually do it over, I would change the lever ball valve to a gate valve (like an outdoor hose faucet but plastic) that’s easier to turn and more precise to adjust for small tanks.  I would also shorten the disperser (it’s too long for my shallower tanks) and I’d do an upside down “T” with wider diameter pipe for the arms of the “T” and the arms as short as I can make them with no holes drilled pointing straight down (or up) - mostly sideways towards and away from the glass (angled a little up or down should be OK).

IMG_2702.jpeg

I know, sloppy glue job!  😝 

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 12:08 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I've always read/heard that you can choke or reduce the outbound flow from a pump, but shouldn't limit the inbound flow. You should be fine with your ball valve addition, if it's after the pump. I wouldn't run the pump endlessly with the valve in the off position, but for brief periods you shouldn't have issues.

In terms of design, one potential problem is that without a shut-off, the pressure in your hose is never really high, so a blow out or leak is almost impossible. But the moment you put that valve in-line and turn it to off, the pressure will increase and your connections need to be able to withstand that. 

An alternative that I love is a remote switch on the pump plug, eg where it plugs into the wall. Amazon has a bunch of options, if you search for "outlet remote". They look like this...

image.png.c8a3afac0ddfb6e53ebc7b5b5e679901.png

... and are a low(er)-tech version of a smart plug. I don't like the smart plugs for water changes because of the small lag between pressing the button, and the switch responding. Even more, if your phone is in your pocket and you need the plug off NOW, you still have to unlock it and get to the right app/screen. Seconds count when the tank is overflowing ask me how I know. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 4:59 AM, Odd Duck said:

You mean like this?  My mixing barrel and filler.  When I eventually do it over, I would change the lever ball valve to a gate valve (like an outdoor hose faucet but plastic) that’s easier to turn and more precise to adjust for small tanks.  I would also shorten the disperser (it’s too long for my shallower tanks) and I’d do an upside down “T” with wider diameter pipe for the arms of the “T” and the arms as short as I can make them with no holes drilled pointing straight down (or up) - mostly sideways towards and away from the glass (angled a little up or down should be OK).

IMG_2702.jpeg

I know, sloppy glue job!  😝 

Yes, pretty much exactly like that! I was picturing the valve at the point where the hose meets the PVC, but I think I like the design of yours on top. It looks a little more ergonomic.

On 7/8/2024 at 7:37 AM, TOtrees said:

I've always read/heard that you can choke or reduce the outbound flow from a pump, but shouldn't limit the inbound flow. You should be fine with your ball valve addition, if it's after the pump. I wouldn't run the pump endlessly with the valve in the off position, but for brief periods you shouldn't have issues.

In terms of design, one potential problem is that without a shut-off, the pressure in your hose is never really high, so a blow out or leak is almost impossible. But the moment you put that valve in-line and turn it to off, the pressure will increase and your connections need to be able to withstand that. 

An alternative that I love is a remote switch on the pump plug, eg where it plugs into the wall. Amazon has a bunch of options, if you search for "outlet remote". They look like this...

image.png.c8a3afac0ddfb6e53ebc7b5b5e679901.png

... and are a low(er)-tech version of a smart plug. I don't like the smart plugs for water changes because of the small lag between pressing the button, and the switch responding. Even more, if your phone is in your pocket and you need the plug off NOW, you still have to unlock it and get to the right app/screen. Seconds count when the tank is overflowing ask me how I know. 

That's a great idea, I didn't know those existed. I've never quite reached the overflow point when working with pumps but I've had a few intense scrambles to pull the plug!

On 7/8/2024 at 4:59 AM, Odd Duck said:

My mixing barrel and filler.

IMG_2702.jpeg

Gotta highlight a great design feature here... All the unions and joins between the pump and the valve are glued/clamped, EXCEPT the one at the pump. If something is going to blow from over-pressure, the bottom of the bucket is the best place for it. Eg that's where you put your weakest connection.