How many Odessa Barbs in a 60gal?

Robbbbbbb

Hey guys. I'm a newbie and I've decided I'd like to fill my 60 gallon with Odessa Barbs. I can only seem to find minimum stocking and tank size, but I'm not sure how many fish will be happy in my tank. Right now I only plan to have Odessas but it might be a good idea to understock a little just in case I want to add some tank mates. Thoughts?

• Like 2

12-15 would be my recommendation. Their max size is somewhere between a rosy barb and a tiger barb. They also don’t like it hot so any tank mates need to like their temps which are around 70-72. I’m a fan if you can get them from Greg Sage at Select Aquatics you’ll have the brightest and most beautiful Odessa’s you’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

God I've had like 200 in a 40 gallon!  However, they weren't full-sized and I change a ton of water and have 2 sponge filters running and an oversized HOB.

Realistically, based on my experience, 30 would be the upper limit, and maybe pushing it, so I'd recommend 24. But keep your eye on your water params, have ample filtration and you probably won't be able to stock much of anything else. But . . . . a big school of Odessas is awesome!

As others have said, they like cooler waters, but they are also Ok at temps in the upper 70s. They also like highly oxygenated water so don't be shy about turning up your airstone. 

Edited by tolstoy21