Which tetras next?

BAT

I inherited a tank from a friend who moved. He had neon and black tetras. I call the tank Tetraland and have added ember tetras. 

any suggestions for other favorite tetras to add? It’s a 20g long planted. See pic. Working on continuing to add more plants. No CO2. 

DB64E7E8-2B2A-44AF-BE87-D26053148380.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I kept glowlight tetras as a species only in my 33g years ago. They are pretty in a very understated way.

Lemon and bleeding heart are my two wishlist tetras. And to get black skirts again one day (had them in the early days of my fishkeeping obsession - they are so classy and solid looking, a definite favourite).

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 12:06 PM, JettsPapa said:

I hate to be a wet blanket, but if you already have three species of tetra in a 20 gallon tank I wouldn't add a fourth.  How many of each do you have currently?

Fair question. I just thought it would be cool to have all sorts of tetras in tetraland (name for aquarium)

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 9:40 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I have pristella tetra. They have bright color on their fins.

Those are some chubby tetras! 

My favorite tetras looks-wise are diamonds but I don't have the space for them and I really like the look of nano fish in the 20L. There are so many neat-looking tetras but in general I think they look better (and feel better) with more of their own kind. A group of six neons is nice but a group of twelve neons is impressive, etc.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 7:09 PM, BAT said:

Fair question. I just thought it would be cool to have all sorts of tetras in tetraland (name for aquarium)

Tetras are shoaling fish that will often be stressed, and harass their tank mates, if they don't have enough of their own species to help them feel safe and keep their attention.

You will often see six cited as the minimum number of a species to have in a tank, but more is always better, as long as you don't overstock.  I prefer eight as a minimum.

• Like 2

I agree with @JettsPapa. Each species should be in a group. When my school size dwindled (ich) there was bullying behavior. The littlest fish that was getting picked on had to be moved to another tank to allow me time to quarantine 7 more new buddies for him and the rest.

(But still, this is a fun video. )

On 9/16/2022 at 9:24 PM, PineSong said:

My favorite tetras looks-wise are diamonds

Diamond tetras are beautiful. I had some years ago and greatly enjoyed them.

• Like 1