Suggestions for some community fish setups

Pencapchew95

Going to rehome my school of 12 tiger barbs. Not because they are bad fish but because I only have my 29 gallon and a 5 gallon, and I really wanted to initially have a community tank. I’ve tried every combination I can think of and my barbs just won’t leave them alone. 

Looking for a group of bottom feeders, a small schooling fish and a centrepiece fish. 
I was fighting with myself whether or not to get Cory’s or Kuhlis, and I’ve decided on kuhlis . As far as center piece fish go I was thinking maybe female beta or dwarf gourami? Small schooling fish I’m completely unsure on. Maybe neon Tetras? Guppies? Please gimme some suggestions ! My tank is planted already but I intend on really planting it more. Really would love an interesting community tank to watch! Cheers! 

DD4560E0-20B9-4D9A-9CBB-E892473BE749.jpeg

• Like 1

Personally I think with Betta fish, the tank should be 80-82 degrees all the time. They seem to do a lot better in warmer tanks and there are a lot of community fish prefer something a bit cooler. HOWEVER if that's the aim then kuhlis are actually a good choice because they can go into the 80s fine- top temp I think for neons is 82 so that's still an option. Maybe not so much the guppies but then again people do summer tubs with them and they seem to do ok. 

If you want to go with a little cooler tank for other fish options I've really been enjoying my Bolivian Ram- there's also German Blue Rams and similar centerpiece fish that are bright and interactive. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

Honestly just search tetras and rasboras- both great fish but make sure they tolerate- at or above the potential temperature range. You generally put them in the tank first and let them acclimate. Best to get the Betta last so there is less of a chance they are aggressive or territorial. 

The good rule of thumb when deciding on inhabitants is what is the fish you are most interested in keeping? Then find out what their parameter preferences are- all the fish that are added to the tank around it must also meet those parameter standards to make the tank work well. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
whoops! my bad!
  • Like 1

In my 20 gallon, I have Harlequin Rasboras, Guppies, Honey Gouramis and Kuhli Loaches. I like Honey Gourami because they are not agressive and can be kept in groups, but a female Berra would probably work. Kuhli Loaches are great. Harlequins look good and act good. If you are going with 6-10 Kuhli Loaches and a Betta, then you could easily add a couple other groups of fish. I would pink a middle dweller 8-10 (Harlequin Rasboras, 6-8 Cherry Barbs, or some other type of tetra), and a top dweller like 3+ guppies, 6 pencilfish or 6 killifish. This still might leave room for other types of fish at some point, depending on schools sizes.

01C3436F-66EB-46A9-A317-13242BB81048.jpeg.e1f02633db35a9bd9a6adeb793330564.jpeg

Edited by macdaddy36
Added Picture
  • Like 1

Another issue with guppies as a small schooling fish is that they do not school! Guppies swim higgeldy-piggeldy all over the place and it's definitely not the same aesthetic or energy as a group of schooling fish.

I have neons in my male guppy/community tank and I love how their schooling adds some organization to the otherwise chaotic swim patterns of the guppies and random chubbing along of the platies. 

• Like 1

I caught our kuhli loach window surfing a few nights ago and a guppy joined in the fun too.  It was funny to watch a guppy try to keep up with the kuhli.  They went around in circles, top to bottom for several minutes.  

On 9/12/2022 at 9:25 PM, PineSong said:

Another issue with guppies as a small schooling fish is that they do not school! Guppies swim higgeldy-piggeldy all over the place and it's definitely not the same aesthetic or energy as a group of schooling fish.