What kind of thermometer do you have for your tank?

sweetpoison

On 9/8/2022 at 10:54 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How often does this happen really?

To me personally over a lifetime. 9 times. 5 were pre inkbird days and 2  literally cooked every tank inhabitant. 

On 9/8/2022 at 12:37 PM, Gannon said:

I need to get a bunch of these for my tanks. I have a number of aqueon pro heaters that have been running for 6 years without issue but I should probably be careful about it. Do these ever go on sale for less than $30 so a college student can better afford them? haha. 

Not that I have ever seen but I think pymeters  are a bit less expensive but I’ve never used those. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 11:04 AM, modified lung said:

If you're talking about the flat thermometers with the adhesive back, they seem to give a reading within 5°F which is good enough in a lot of cases. I've only had two of them though. The one I linked earlier is accurate within 1.5°F of every other temp reader I have. I've had one of them for 3 years and it's still going strong. It even spent a year of that outdoors.

I think so yes. I can’t have any wires I just can’t have any more wires😂😂

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:54 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How often does this happen really?

Keep in mind that the following comment is across up to 12 tanks that were running at any given time, ranging from 20 to 135 gallons. 4 were always in use & the rest were QT or breeder tanks. In the past year, I've dropped that to 2 always in use & 2 QT/breeder tanks.

On the "meh" side, in the past decade, I've lost count of how many failed in the off position. 8? 12? We know they have a lifespan, so I always keep spares, for just that situation. For example, my 135 actually has 2 inline heaters installed right now, one on each canister's intake. Only one heater is currently plugged in, but it's also on an Inkbird controller..

Now for the negative side... I've had 2 glass Eheim & 2 Aqueon Pro heaters fail in the ON position. One of those Eheims shattered when it failed, One of the Aqueon pros split when it failed, releasing the internal sand/powder/whatever into the shrimp tank. All 4 of those resulted in 6-50ish losses. They're the reason I now have controllers on each of my active tanks.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:37 AM, Gannon said:

I need to get a bunch of these for my tanks. I have a number of aqueon pro heaters that have been running for 6 years without issue but I should probably be careful about it. Do these ever go on sale for less than $30 so a college student can better afford them? haha. 

They're usually $28.99 for the aquarium version (ITC-306T-A), with Prime.

Edited by Tazalanche
typo

On 9/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

OMG!  

Looks like I'm buying some inkbirds.  Can you plug 2 heaters into one inkbird?  I see it has 2 outlets there.

As long as those two heaters are in the same aquarium as the one sensor probe, yes.

Edited by Tazalanche
I am fluent in typo

On 9/8/2022 at 8:52 AM, DaveO said:

I have that crappy floating glass thingy with a suction cup. They are very hard to read and the suction cups always fail. Oh, and some can vary 6° in temperature readings. I don't know how many of these junkers I have thrown away.

I have that one too. It is so hard to read and I firmly believe that If I put 10 lbs of ice in that tank it would still read 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

If temperature is critical to what you're keeping, you can't go wrong with Inkbird.  

This version is a little cheaper and takes a little more technical knowledge to wire up.  But I use both types.  I have these type wired into outlets to run a couple of barrel heaters for my discus water change setup.  I've used these for fish and also for chicken egg incubation, have been really happy with all of my Inkbird stuff.

image.png.d663adaafa9dc941a63f2608abfb096f.png

20220521_214843.jpg.2252f99cda94a18ca9a6668e4b7fec30.jpg

So this unit has 2 probes. Think it can be used for 2 tanks if both kept at same temp? Would save about $10 if someone was planning on buying 2 units. Tanks would also have to be near each other.

Inkbird ITC-306A WiFi Temperature Controller, Wi-Fi Aquarium Thermostat Heater Controller 120V~1200W Temperature Control with Two Probes only for Heater Aquarium Breeding Reptiles Hatching. https://a.co/d/6Nq5ySE

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 9/8/2022 at 11:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

Not that I have ever seen but I think pymeters  are a bit less expensive but I’ve never used those. 

On 9/8/2022 at 11:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

Yes but it has only 1 probe so only works for one tank. 

I use a few of these, 2 plugs and 2 probes.

https://www.amazon.com/Pymeter-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Germination/dp/B098K55L6Z?pd_rd_w=ufJJl&content-id=amzn1.sym.deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_p=deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_r=X2V1RB0QVRTVAJ3RR7NT&pd_rd_wg=H7sHm&pd_rd_r=6cae3c27-b746-4fa3-91db-658d961ea29e&pd_rd_i=B098K55L6Z&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_30_t

• Like 1
  • Love 1