Possible to mail cycled filter media?

MDfish

Open to any ideas to make this possible.  I'd like to mail some of my cycled (2 year) media to my sister to help jumpstart their new tank. Maybe a sponge and/or some of my seachem matrix I keep in a bag in the hob.

Normal mail probably takes 3-5 days.

Can bag it up with water? Secured plastic tupperware container?  Any other ideas?

Thanks 

• Like 1

Ups next day/usps next day. Bag it like you would fish with appropriate insulation. Treat it like any critter. Way whacked temp will kill it. Bacteria consumes gobs and gobs of oxygen. So leave airspace or use breather bags. 
There used to be a company you could buy cycled sponges from so yes this is very doable. 

If they are not to far next day is not expensive. If they are go priority. 
pirate ship is a discounted internet shipping label company folks near me use to save money. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 9:22 AM, MDfish said:

Thanks. Makes sense. I have never ordered or mailed fish but I thought sometimes it takes a few days and they are ok. Are the bacteria different so it would require overnight?

No I’m just an over cautious person. The longer anything is in post office possession the more likely to get temp out or oxygen depletion. I only do fish overnight also. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

No idea how to accomplish the air pump in a way that doesn't break the bank and the post office will actually ship.  I suppose breather bag with sponge and tank water in it, some sort of insulation (styrofoam?) and a relatively quick delivery.

Actually, the bacteria won't consume oxygen unless they are also consuming ammonia or nitrite at the time. That's why bottled bacteria can work. They go into a sort of dormancy and can survive this way for months.

Drying and temperature would be the major concerns. I would wrap the media a few times in wet paper towel, put in strong ziplock bag (make double sure it's sealed), and insolate the package. A big air pocket will just increase the chances of drying.

When she gets the packages, the bacteria will be in dormancy from not eating and changing conditions and will take a couple days to a week to reactivate.

• Like 4

On 9/4/2022 at 10:33 AM, modified lung said:

Actually, the bacteria won't consume oxygen unless they are also consuming ammonia or nitrite at the time. That's why bottled bacteria can work. They go into a sort of dormancy and can survive this way for months.

Drying and temperature would be the major concerns. I would wrap the media a few times in wet paper towel, put in strong ziplock bag (make double sure it's sealed), and insolate the package. A big air pocket will just increase the chances of drying.

When she gets the packages, the bacteria will be in dormancy from not eating and changing conditions and will take a couple days to a week to reactivate.

Listen to this guy first.

• Like 1