Aquarium sale, must resist MTS

redfish

On 8/30/2022 at 11:29 AM, redfish said:

Aquariums are on sale 50% off at the local big box store again.  I'm trying hard to resist MTS but i'm thinking at least a new 55 gal and a couple 40 breeders.  A 75 gal cichlid tank would be very nice too.  🐟 🐠 🐡

Oh boy you’ve caught it hard. 😁

• Like 2

I have a method to the madness for two (55 and 40 breeder).  I have a stand for a 55 gal but the tank is cracked.  Replacing the tank makes sense.  We will need to upgrade the turtle from a 20L to something bigger so that's where the 40 breeder comes in.  The other 40 breeder or 75 gal are just lagniappe for other future options.  At least this is what I keep telling myself. 🤣

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, redfish said:

I have a method to the madness for two (55 and 40 breeder).  I have a stand for a 55 gal but the tank is cracked.  Replacing the tank makes sense.  We will need to upgrade the turtle from a 20L to something bigger so that's where the 40 breeder comes in.  The other 40 breeder or 75 gal are just lagniappe for other future options.  At least this is what I keep telling myself. 🤣

I ended up swapping the 55G (turned the stand into shelves) and upgrading to a 75.  I highly recommend that as opposed to replacing the 55. If you want "bigger fish" I think you're looking at 120G sizes (4' x 2') as the size you'd want or an 18" x 6' long tank. 

The reason being is that for bigger fish, they tend to need to turn around, dart, etc. and having that front to back space helps with their behaviors.

The other thing you could look at doing is taking your 55G stand and putting 2 tanks on it instead of 1.  2x 20H should fit that space, but definitely don't take my word for it.  It's something I've been considering, but haven't done myself.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 2:29 PM, redfish said:

Aquariums are on sale 50% off at the local big box store again.

OMG!!!! Thanks for posting this. I just checked the other day and NO SALE! So I was getting ready to pay full price this weekend for a few 20 highs. But now ... SALE SALE SALE!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:04 PM, tolstoy21 said:

OMG!!!! Thanks for posting this. I just checked the other day and NO SALE! So I was getting ready to pay full price this weekend for a few 20 highs. But now ... SALE SALE SALE!!!!!!!!

You are welcome.  I've been checking daily hoping the sale would return.  I wasn't ready to buy a few weeks ago before the last sale ended.  Now I'm going to buy.  I've been monitoring online marketplaces for good deals but everyone wants close to full retail on used stuff.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, redfish said:

I've been monitoring online marketplaces for good deals but everyone wants close to full retail on used stuff.

Yeah I see the same on Craigs List in my area. Most folks are looking to get close to full retail 'new' value for very used looking aquariums. I stopped searching there entirely a while ago.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:48 PM, redfish said:

What standard lids fit the 75G? I like the common 20G, etc lids that fit the 55G.

It's a 2 pack. I use versatop. They are amazing quality, thick glass, fit well. I believe I ordered them online and had them shipped (usually cheapest at the big box store if they don't have them in stock)

Current price $55 on the website. 48" x 18" lid set.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 1:29 PM, redfish said:

Aquariums are on sale 50% off at the local big box store again.  I'm trying hard to resist MTS but i'm thinking at least a new 55 gal and a couple 40 breeders.  A 75 gal cichlid tank would be very nice too.  🐟 🐠 🐡

Amazingly those are my exact thought for the next sale here 😀

On 8/30/2022 at 2:00 PM, redfish said:

Makes perfect sense to me! MTS with a plan of action. Outstanding!!

• Haha 1
  • Love 1