Help to diagnose what is wrong with my juvenile rams

onlywei

I have a 20 gallon long that I am using to grow out a spawn of German Rams. They have been fine for about two months, but starting last week they have begun dying. Every day I would find 3-5 dead rams at the bottom of the tank that I would remove. Today I saw one who died very recently so I picked it up only to find that it was still alive! I put it in a specimen container with an airstone and snapped the photo for this forum.

I'm sure my tank is cycled with zero ammonia and nitrite, and I do a 30%-50% water change weekly. The tank has a ton of Java Moss as well as some Pothos and Monstera Adonsonii hanging in the tank.

I have another spawn of Rams that are 10 days older in another 20 gallon long that are doing totally fine.

Can anyone see any sort of disease in my picture? I want to know what meds to try.

IMG_8787.JPEG

• Administrators

Any chance of there being parasites that were introduced to the tank? I would suggest maybe running some meds through them. Also, are they eating enough? Sometimes people under-feed fry. 

On 8/22/2022 at 5:02 PM, Zenzo said:

Any chance of there being parasites that were introduced to the tank? I would suggest maybe running some meds through them. Also, are they eating enough? Sometimes people under-feed fry. 

Thanks for the reply, Zenzo! I really enjoyed meeting you at Aquashella Orlando in February.

Which meds would you suggest? I have the aquarium co-op med trio, but I don't want to just give it to them randomly.

I have increased their feeding since I've started noticing deaths, but the results are inconclusive - I can't tell if it's helping or not helping.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 5:32 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

What temperature?

I live in Florida and I keep them in my garage. The room is above 80 degrees at all times, sometimes much higher.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:29 PM, Zenzo said:

I would start with Paracleanse since you already have it (unless you have API General Cure from before, which will also work). Follow the instructions on the package and see if things improve after a week or two. 

Let me try this. Hopefully it doesn't impact my beneficial bacteria too much, because they are still young and I still need to feed them daily.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 8/22/2022 at 2:47 PM, onlywei said:

ParaCleanse says it does on the back of the box though. See picture.

C46E5D2D-2A19-48DE-8FC8-E8BC06B4D15D.jpeg

I guess there is a possibility, but I have never had an issue in any of the tanks that I have ran this through, and I have used it quite a bit. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry...but I doubt you'd have an issue. Also, remember that BB can increase in population very quickly, so it should be easy to reintroduce some if necessary. 

• 1 month later...

As the deaths stop after treating with paracleanse I would repeat the treatment when you first treated with paracleanse did you repeat the treatment two weeks after the front course of treatment if not that why you could be seeing a reoccurrence what I would do is 3 course of paracleanse 2 weeks apart you can add it to food its more effective feeding a small amount twice a day for up two 3 weeksIMG_20220714_201252.jpg.4fc60591be5388e35fa90603c07a6d2b.jpg