Apistogramma baeschi question

Stephen Zawacki

Hi I have a question for you, I have a beautiful pair of apistogramma baeschi and are loving them, the one question I have is the male his two front bottom fins, I noticed that one is longer than the other is this typical? Or are they supposed to be exactly the same the reason I’m asking is if I need to know if he injured his fin or is it just how his body formed? 

• Like 1

The front two fins are called the "ventral" or "pelvic" fins, depending on the species / nomenclature.

It is possible that your fish was injured, and that one fin is growing back. But it may also be that there is a genetic problem.

Once in awhile, I am inattentive and have allowed genetic problems to slip past my notice. Most of the time I catch things lie this and keep fish from being sold.

Unfortunately, many stores get nice / rare species of fish from wholesalers _on account of_ these non-life-threatening factors.

If you upload a few photos, folks can respond more specifically.

I doubt this will impact quality of life for your fish. But you ought to be mindful about breeding and how the fry may turn out.

• Like 1