Used Tank Question

wes.crockett

Hey all,

Last time, I posted about a 60 gallon cube that was used... sadly, by the time I made it to the shop, it was sold... They now look to have the below tank:

I believe it's 65 gallons but they didn't post much information about it. This one is $200. Does it look worth the price? The stand needs to be sanded and re-painted but I have no idea if these stands are really high enough quality that they even can be sanded down and re-painted.

I dont recognize this setup, so I am having a hard time nailing down the brand. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

No photo description available.

Edited by wes.crockett

If you’re patient enough and look in the right places (FB marketplace, OfferUp, Craigslist add Nextdoor) you can acquire and size tank that you want. I’ve picked up about 50 tanks (some full set ups) in the past 12 months for my Offish-Fish Room. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:03 AM, Pete H said:

If you’re patient enough and look in the right places (FB marketplace, OfferUp, Craigslist add Nextdoor) you can acquire and size tank that you want. I’ve picked up about 50 tanks (some full set ups) in the past 12 months for my Offish-Fish Room. 

This is on FB Marketplace at a LFS (a lot of people dumb their equipment on them)

On 8/18/2022 at 9:03 AM, Pete H said:

Wow lucky! In the Seattle area people are price gouging tanks. I can get a 15 gallon for… $150. 

Anyway $200 for that whole setup seems like a good deal to me. The overflow box is a nice add-in. I’d clean it really well as it was likely a saltwater display. As for the stand you could luck out and have melamine board under all that black paint, or more than likely it’s a cheap wood mixed with particle board. Either way it was likely sold as a set since the tank is flush with the stand.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Wow lucky! In the Seattle area people are price gouging tanks. I can get a 15 gallon for… $150. 

Anyway $200 for that whole setup seems like a good deal to me. The overflow box is a nice add-in. I’d clean it really well as it was likely a saltwater display. As for the stand you could luck out and have melamine board under all that black paint, or more than likely it’s a cheap wood mixed with particle board. Either way it was likely sold as a set since the tank is flush with the stand.

Can you use a canister filter with an overflow box? seeing mixed things online. I would be doing a freshwater and don't really want to deal with a sump.

The tank looks to be an Aqueon "reef ready" tank, which all that means is that it is drilled with two holes and has the overflow weir in it. The stand also appears to be the same brands standard black aquarium stand. If you can get the tank without the stand for a decent price go for it, but unless you want to spend some time refinishing the stand I wouldn't use it. Do you want a tank with overflow to use a sump filter system? There are ways to still use the tank without a sump, but it's more work than most people would want to put into it. My suggestion, have a good idea of what you really want (size, condition with/without stand, drilled or not) and keep an eye on all the places mentioned above for what you really want. 

On 8/19/2022 at 3:32 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

The tank looks to be an Aqueon "reef ready" tank, which all that means is that it is drilled with two holes and has the overflow weir in it. The stand also appears to be the same brands standard black aquarium stand. If you can get the tank without the stand for a decent price go for it, but unless you want to spend some time refinishing the stand I wouldn't use it. Do you want a tank with overflow to use a sump filter system? There are ways to still use the tank without a sump, but it's more work than most people would want to put into it. My suggestion, have a good idea of what you really want (size, condition with/without stand, drilled or not) and keep an eye on all the places mentioned above for what you really want. 

Thanks. It's $100 (if still available) for the tank and stand. Assuming refinishing is a light sanding and repaint, I am 100% OK with that... If it requires replacing paneling entirely, that's probably too far gone for me. As far as size, this meets my goals (55-65 gallons) pretty spot on. Ultimately, I want as big as I can in the narrow space I have (45" wide space) without looking too massive in the small-ish room.

As far as filtration, I don't really want to use a sump for this tank... I figure it's a bit small to require one too. I was thinking a canister. I read that the main problem with canister would be water level drop due to evaporation, but I do see slits in the overflow weir down low which would seem to indicate this not being an issue. As far as pluming, one hole is intake, one is return, I just wouldn't be sure what is required behind the weir in terms of plumbing... Can the intake just be low in the tank and I build a PVC pipe for the return going up to near the top of the weir??