API Erythyromycin vs. Fritz Maracyn Directions Discrepancy

nabokovfan87

API:

For each 10 gallons of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

Fritz:

Directions: One complete course of treatment will take 5 days.
Treat for the full course of treatment even if visible signs of infection or illness disappear.

Day One through Day Five: Each day add contents of one packet per 10 gallons of water to be treated.
Day Six: Perform a 25% water change. If Necessary, a second full course of treatment may be performed starting on Day Seven.

Any idea why there's a difference of treatment on these two?  I am planning to dose every day, but I was curious why the API one was different when I looked it up.  Lower stress on the fish I would imagine, but is there something I'm missing?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, Colu said:

If I remember rightly API erythromycin has 400mg of the active ingredient and maracyn has 200mg that could be why they have different dosing instructions

Yeah I checked that too!  Same levels.

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5113625_alt1?$CLEARjpg$

Edited by nabokovfan87
added photo

• 1 year later...

Reviving this old thread from the dead.

I had the same question - Why do Maracyn and API Erythromycin have different treatment plans?  They both have 200 mg Erythromycin per packet per 10 gallons

Maracyn - 5 days straight, water change on day 6

API - 2 days of treatment, do water change, 2 more days of treatment

Which one is better?

@only6foot6  I’d follow the directions on packing. Sometimes it’s not the med, it’s the carrier or binding agent. We see this with livestock meds. They will have different usda instructions from different manufacturers, even though it’s the same drug in the same amount. It can even alter medication withdrawal times.

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1