Aquarium Pokemon

Cinnebuns

I really wanna go all Pokémon on nerites and catch em all but I don't have enough tanks to do so. I wanna see if we can Pokémon these through the forums!  Post which kinds of nerites you have and let's see if we can catch em all together!  Below is a list of the nerites I know about. I've put an "X" next to the ones I have and will update it as people add theirs. If I missed any type lmk and also lmk what you have!

@Guppysnail @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

X Zebra thorn

X Hair thorn

X King Koopa

X Batman

X Zebra 

X Tiger

X Red racer

X Yellow racer

X Batik

X Sun thorn

X Black racer

Military helmet or is this the same as black racer?

O-ring

Red ruby 

Lightning bolt

X Olive

Green turtle

Red lip

Chocolate

Zig zag which looks a lot like batik to me

Midnight Black

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

On 8/11/2022 at 1:14 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

This is a super cool idea, I currently have none but if we can catch them all I think you’ve found my next project 

I'm kinda embarrassed that I have half the list. Idk if the list is complete but I didn't think I had 10 different kinds already until I sat and thought about it. 

Ok I’m going to show my age and my aversion to television.  I don’t really understand the Pokémon reference. My niece and nephew watched it when they were younger but I only watched Dora the Explorer and Sponge bob with them 🤣

My new nerite  addiction and dislike of washing windows has taken me from a lone black racer named Nemo to 42 of whatever stores had in stock.Some I’m not real sure on the names

Black Racers, Zebra, Tiger and a few that are dark cherrywood color with almost stripe patters but the stripes are not through the entire shell. I’ll get pics next time they make an appearance where I can ge5 a good pic. Their shells are also shaped a bit different than the others and they are definitely a bit larger….so I’m extremely unhelpful with that 🤣 sorry. 

• Love 1

On 8/11/2022 at 6:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

don’t really understand the Pokémon reference. My niece and nephew watched it when they were younger but I only watched Dora the Explorer and Sponge bob with them 🤣

Same here, except I did not watch any of those 'toons.  I believe that @Cinnebuns is referring to the Pokémon card collecting craze.  Beyond that I have no idea.

I've never seen anything other than Zebras and Tigers in stores around me.

• Like 1

I have black racer and zebra.

You should add red onion, midnight black, and bumble bee to your type list. I don't have them though.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:03 AM, Tanked said:

I believe that @Cinnebuns is referring to the Pokémon card collecting craze.

There has also been a wildly popular series of video games spanning about 20 years at this point. Half the point of the video games is to get as many different types as you can.

Edited by Katherine
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:17 AM, Katherine said:

red onion

I’m not real versed in nerite types. I did not know what it was so I looked when you posted. I think some shops are calling things different names.  These look identical to me and what many of mine look like and just like zebras the patterns can be slight variations  16E280A1-B57C-47A3-A2AA-5E60DF5A5D46.png.0ce9108d3d75fab3cca2a451284f9574.png2DDBE0BC-6664-44C4-B588-F486D07BA9A5.png.4815c7b057bae4b96d76e7a6f60f1eb2.png

just like @Cinnebuns said about the black racers and military helmets. 8D5B5A35-F131-4360-AFFA-428E968CAAC4.png.6a1e6f010a47a5e044cba39178b59791.pngEBABDD3B-B989-486C-9B24-43C53853F5E8.png.50e2e6b4e572816929dad1d8bf68fea3.png

But again I’m not real versed on types so I could be very wrong

On 8/11/2022 at 7:27 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m not real versed in nerite types. I did not know what it was so I looked when you posted. I think some shops are calling things different names.  These look identical to me and what many of mine look like and just like zebras the patterns can be slight variations

I think you're right about both of these that you posted. Looks like red onion and tiger are the same and black racer and military helmet are the same. 

I'd only heard of red onion because that's what my most recent black racers were labeled as at the shop. Now that one's obviously wrong. 😂

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2022 at 5:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

Ok I’m going to show my age and my aversion to television.  I don’t really understand the Pokémon reference. My niece and nephew watched it when they were younger but I only watched Dora the Explorer and Sponge bob with them 🤣

I'm 37 and never watched Pokémon personally but I've known people who did. It's also a reference a lot among gamers whenever there's a "catch em all" reference. 

On 8/11/2022 at 7:03 AM, Tanked said:

I believe that @Cinnebuns is referring to the Pokémon card collecting craze.  Beyond that I have no idea.

The referrence is more to the catch phrase "catch em all" which is part of the whole enterprise including games, shows, etc. 

On 8/11/2022 at 7:17 AM, Katherine said:

You should add red onion, midnight black, and bumble bee to your type list. I don't have them though.

Are those 3 different from tiger, Black racer and zebra horned? They sound like they might be the same but idk. I see @Guppysnail pointed that out about the first 2 but I'm pretty sure that's true of Bumble bee too because I used to call mine my Bumble bee snail. Here is a pic of it. Is this the kind you mean?20220426_213003.jpg.b6182799c4ed284bb3877988df4df5ee.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 10:52 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm 37 and never watched Pokémon personally but I've known people who did. It's also a reference a lot among gamers whenever there's a "catch em all" reference. 

The referrence is more to the catch phrase "catch em all" which is part of the whole enterprise including games, shows, etc. 

Are those 3 different from tiger, Black racer and zebra horned? They sound like they might be the same but idk. I see @Guppysnail pointed that out about the first 2 but I'm pretty sure that's true of Bumble bee too because I used to call mine my Bumble bee snail. Here is a pic of it. Is this the kind you mean?20220426_213003.jpg.b6182799c4ed284bb3877988df4df5ee.jpg

I think red onion and tiger are the same, Guppysnail pointed that out too. Black midnight has a different shell shape than black racer. The bumble bee I'm not sure on. Here's a photo. I think they might be the same?

horned-nerite-snail-clithon-corona.jpg.534bb98f8500c1c5ed0a42f39cb90a52.jpg

Edited by Katherine
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2022 at 11:02 AM, Katherine said:

I think red onion and tiger are the same, Guooysnail pointed that out too. Black midnight has a different shell shape than black racer. The bumble bee I'm not sure on. Here's a photo. I think they might be the same?

horned-nerite-snail-clithon-corona.jpg.534bb98f8500c1c5ed0a42f39cb90a52.jpg

Oh yeah that might be different I'm not sure. Has the same coloring but different texture so idk

Maybe midnight black is batman?  Batman has a different shell shape. It's also possible there are multiple black ones and it's just one I need to add. Here's a Batman  

1310640201_BatmanNerite3SML_1024x1024(1).png.87dac072620913bddc211034a2dfb170.png

I actually remember once having a black one I wasn't sure what kind it was. Maybe that was a midnight black. It went for a walk one day and died. 

• Sad 1

On 8/11/2022 at 11:59 AM, Katherine said:

This is the one I mean for midnight black.Black-Nerite-1_1024x1024.jpg.327f93affd2b9ba67043d7f13f66bbd5.jpg

Maybe it's the same as black racer and this one just has a more pronounced swirl? Mine are almost flat where the swirl is.

Tbh, I'm not sure. I'll include it just in case lol

• Haha 1

If they're small they are probably clithon corona or clithon diadema for the last snail. I have a few thorned nerites that are an inch big. Others have stayed quite small, 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, but they're industrious workers.

These species are also very long-lived.

EDIT: The others are larger freshwater limpets. Marbled limpets?

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1