Subwassertang and Sulawesi Shrimp Project

ChargerstoLA

I am looking for suggestions. Currently I have a 6 gallon tank that is full subwassertang (see photo). I got neglectful of the tank and the next thing I know it is extremely full. It also houses who knows how many neocardinia shrimp and of course some bladder snails. 

First, I am looking to do something epic with the subwassertang. I am re-scaping my 50 gallon tank and I think I really could make something pop with it. Anyone got any tips or suggestion to help do this ?

Second, I plan on trying to convert the 6 gallon into a Sulawesi shrimp tank. The tank is well seasoned and the walls have algae for them to graze on (see tank was neglected). However, the substrate is potting soil with a sand cap. Do you think this is fine to leave? I worry the potting soil will lower the Ph because I will be using RO with Salty Shrimp 7.5 to get the right ph for the shrimp. I am open to suggestions and tips. 

B50114FF-45D4-4078-8D38-63A5488DBE41.jpeg

Ok epic idea. Put that huge beautiful ball on a hill just off center in the back of the big tank. Make it look somewhat like a path leading to it as it you are walking through the wood to an epic shade tree for a picnic and afternoon outdoor nap with a good book.  That moss ball is awesome. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 4:10 AM, ChargerstoLA said:

. . . However, the substrate is potting soil with a sand cap. Do you think this is fine to leave? I worry the potting soil will lower the Ph because I will be using RO with Salty Shrimp 7.5 to get the right ph for the shrimp. I am open to suggestions and tips. 

I have a 20 gallon tall tank I set up in November of last year, with a layer of dry cow manure, then a layer of potting soil, and then capped with pool filter sand.  The pH is still rock steady at 8.2.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

Ok epic idea. Put that huge beautiful ball on a hill just off center in the back of the big tank. Make it look somewhat like a path leading to it as it you are walking through the wood to an epic shade tree for a picnic and afternoon outdoor nap with a good book.  That moss ball is awesome. 

I would love to. I just wonder how to get it to stay in one place and stay as one piece. 

On 8/10/2022 at 6:10 AM, JettsPapa said:

I have a 20 gallon tall tank I set up in November of last year, with a layer of dry cow manure, then a layer of potting soil, and then capped with pool filter sand.  The pH is still rock steady at 8.2.

That makes me feel confident. I plan on just taking out all the water and put RO water remineralized with salty shrimp 7.5

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 5:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

I decided on making a giant wall of the moss, I am shocked how much was actually there. I made a new post of my journey so far. 

3F9700C9-ACB1-4AEB-AB35-62E9E1E0838C.jpeg.4fd9295ae7a62dc13e2670c03cb0a995.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 8/16/2022 at 2:11 AM, Guppysnail said:

Holy cow!  That is so much!  It’s going to look amazing. What is the name of the journal?  You can link your journal to the signature at the bottom of your posts so folks can find it easily whenever you make other posts. It’s in account settings. 

Thanks for the tips. I think it worked. If it didn’t here is the link. 

Moss Wall

• Love 1