Second batch of fish: Guppies or Green Neon Tetras?

DaPrawf

I'm really enjoying being a new member here. So many helpful folks. I've got a 29 gallon freshwater tank that I'd say is sort of medium planted. Java ferns, windelov, Anubis, lots of bucephalandra. I had a lot of java moss, but it keeps turning brown on me. Not sure why, because everything else seems to be doing well.

Anyway, the tank is fully cycled. Ammonia and nitrites both at 0 ppm. Nitrates at about 20 ppm. I've started with 5 orange Venezuelan corydoras and 3 nerite snails. They've been in the tank about a week. In another week, I'll add another batch of fish. I was debating between 4 guppies and about 6-8 green neon tetras? Any advice about which would do better in a new, albeit cycled, tank?

Edited by DaPrawf
fixed typo

Green neon tetras are really good looking fish. I keep them and I cant think of anything I don't like about them.

I'm not sure what kind of vibe you’re looking for but if you want some energy then I'd get the guppies also 😁. Like @nabokovfan87said they will breed but you could get all males or get a larger centerpiece fish for fry control. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 2:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Please show them off! I'd love to see em 🙂

I would lean towards the tetras just so you don't end up with a ton of fry.

Thanks! I read a lot and watched a lot of videos about substrate: sand versus gravel. But I saw a video by Cory McElroy about how corydoras in the wild live on pretty sharp substrate, so I went with smooth gravel. 🤞I was leaning towards the tetras.

Orange Venezuelan corys1.jpeg

Orange Venezuelan corys2.jpeg

On 8/4/2022 at 3:06 PM, Patrick_G said:

Green neon tetras are really good looking fish. I keep them and I cant think of anything I don't like about them.

I'm not sure what kind of vide you’re looking for but if you want some energy then I'd get the guppies also 😁. Like @nabokovfan87said they will breed but you could get all males or get a larger centerpiece fish for fry control. 

Thanks. I do eventually want to get some guppies. So, speaking of fry control, I've seen a lot of conflicting videos and read a lot of conflicting advice about dwarf gouramis. I think a flame dwarf gourami would make an attractive centerpiece fish. But some sources say they're docile while others say they're aggressive bullies. Some sources say you can keep just one, some say you need four.

• Like 1

I think that green neon tetras are the way to go! Guppies are livebearers and you will end up with a lot of babies real quick. Unlike Neon Tetras, Green Neon Tetras don't get the Neon Tetra disease as easily and are more hardy I think. Green Neon Tetras are most expensive I think but in the end, they are worth it. 

Looking forward to seeing how your tank advances! 🙂

Edited by anitstuk
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 3:57 PM, DaPrawf said:

I think a flame dwarf gourami would make an attractive centerpiece fish. But some sources say they're docile while others say they're aggressive bullies. Some sources say you can keep just one, some say you need four.

That's exactly the fish I was thinking of 🙂

I haven't kept one for many many years but I remember mine being docile and hungry for guppy fry. We have a couple of Gourami experts on the forum. Hopefully they’ll add some advice. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, if only I could be in your shoes! I have a 29g medium planted tank. And it does have some green neons in it. Unfortunately, it also has guppies in it because I have run out of space in my guppy tanks despite all my efforts to divide the fry by sex so I don't have millions of babies.

I'm a tad grumpy and frustrated by my guppy overpopulation problem at the moment so I'm gonna suggest either you only get male guppies or you go with the neons. In fact, in a tank that size you could easily do both and have the best of both worlds: great color and big tails on the male guppies and the flash and schooling of the neons. ❤️