angelfish tank size?

I'm planning a 40 gallon breeder tank and I really want to do guppies and some dwarf chain loaches but then I saw the share your angelfish pictures thread and it made me really want some angels. would a 40 breeder with guppies and dwarf chain loaches be too small or would I need a 4ft tank? because I've seen people like @Dean’s Fishroom say you can keep them in a 29 gallon but then others say you need at least a 55 gallon. also how many would you do if I can keep angels? and can I keep guppies with angelfish or will they eat them?istock-512906578_16x9.jpg.07c9d0bc6d5c38dbfa1b2677976fbc9c.jpg

I think they'll do great in a 40, however, I would only do a pair (or just 1) rather than a group. You can buy a group of juveniles and grow them out, and then when a pair forms, rehome the rest. 

As for guppies, they should be fine, although I would try to find a strain known for being larger. The males of the smaller strains (like pandas or endlers) could be small enough to be eaten by mature angels. Also, if you are wanting to breed the guppies, the angelfish will probably eat most of the fry.

• Like 1

I think there's a good argument for a 29g since it is actually 2” taller than a 40 breeder. Angels need a tall tank so their fins don't get stunted. They say bigger is always better for Angels but because of the unique dimensions of these two particular tanks I think you could get away with the 29. If you have the space and budget get the 40 or even a 55, but don't rule out a 29 for a single pair of Angels. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 3