Aquarium Products Have No Resale Value

Damo.Lo

On 8/1/2022 at 4:32 AM, Damo.Lo said:

Hey all 

Something that has baffled me since joining the hobby is the “high” prices for brand new hardware I.e. Tank, Filters, Light and so on 

but as soon as it has been used the retail price and condition becomes irrelevant and the resell value becomes negligible… 

it doesn’t bother me it is what it is, but I’m just curious as to where this culture came from, is it a saturated second hand market? Or buyers not willing to pay a premium? or manufactures charging high prices? 

Not wanting a finger pointing post just curious as to peoples view on this??

Like some others have hinted, I gotta be honest, I see it the opposite. Someone was trying to sell a 40 gallon for $500 because "I've spent a lot on fish."  And like others have suggested, often you can get cheaper brand new than what some people try to sell used for. In regards to something new, it irritates me when people think they can sell it for what it retails at. It doesn't matter if it's still in the original packaging and everything, I trust Amazon more than I trust Joe marketplace. I'm not going to take a chance on a random person on marketplace when I can get a guaranteed product brand new from a store. When someone buys a used item they are taking a chance on the person they are buying it from. That chance has a price. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 8/1/2022 at 8:40 PM, Damo.Lo said:

Where do you live? I live in Australia and VERY general price drop is 30-60% but I also think we pay a lot for tanks over here new, I bought a tank and stand 127L 33G for $300Au and retails for $900 just an example of you can get 10G for $10 🙃 (mine is an all in one system so not really comparing apples with apples) 

If you want cheap tanks, check FB markeplace. Got two four foots for $50 and got my 2ft tank for free. People don't tend to sell tanks on Gumtree. At least it's cheaper then 20 years ago.. my 180g Six footer was $$$.

• Thanks 1

I think, as others have hinted at, it is because most aquarium gear holds large quantities of water in the midst of our living spaces. I would happily buy things like sponge filters, surface skimmers, even lights second-hand. But, for an aquarium, an external filter, hoses, lily pipes, or anything that could dump water all of my house, I don't want to take the risk on equipment that may not have been properly maintained, may be nearing the end of its usable life, etc... Whereas, if you look at lots of other hobbies, equipment failure doesn't pose a major risk to a home you may have invested your life savings into.

• Thanks 1

I've gotten a couple good deals on tanks through FB Marketplace... but every now and then, you see a listing that just makes yuo shake your head. I had originally looked at the 36g Bowfront Tank and Stand Combo from Petsmart for $229 before buying my current tank. Then just this week, I was on Marketplace and saw someone had that exact tank and stand for sale - used- for $250 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 7:29 PM, Damo.Lo said:

I think I’ve miss judged this thread and my statement is only true in Australia hahaha seems like we get quite the deal over here 

Indeed. Seems we're more truthful here.... On FB marketplace I frequently see old Fish tanks sold as reptile tanks as they're afraid it won't hold water.

Edited by Friller
Bad grammar