Is this normal?

BAT

My black tetras line up in the back wall of the aquarium in this formation (see attached). Is this normal? I noticed this happening after I started to decorate the tank. 

CE01A6AB-537D-4BFC-9699-D1EF9E1EA113.jpeg

4F36F2C9-AB58-42D2-8E0F-D6C0E163C415.jpeg

Edited by BAT
  • Like 1

They are schooling fish I would sort of go down the line of @Colu but check there is no short. The lateral can pick up small electrical anomaly before us. I has seen fish swim right to a shorting  heater and get to much power. And then people have no idea until the short gets bad and you feel when you put your hand in it.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, Colu said:

It looks like there huddling close to the heater I would check to make sure it's working properly it could have gotten to  cold

I took it as they were all under the shade / cover of the heater.  Interesting question!

On 7/23/2022 at 8:28 PM, Brandon p said:

They are schooling fish I would sort of go down the line of @Colu but check there is no short. The lateral can pick up small electrical anomaly before us. I has seen fish swim right to a shorting  heater and get to much power. And then people have no idea until the short gets bad and you feel when you put your hand in it.

I think Colu was just saying make sure it's putting out the right temp itself.  I have had issues too, sure we all have, heaters get older and just all kinds of calibration goes haywire.

Yeah I yeah he was just talking about checking it, I was just suggesting that when they checked that they may want to check that there was no electricity escaping. The glass tube one are the ones that have some issues. I have noticed that my neons did this before I reached in and found that the heater was shorted. It probably is not that but as long as they are checking , checking that just to be safe. There are some interesting papers about ll lateral line and electricity. I didn’t know it was shark week but I’m sure you’ll hear a lot about lateral lines and sharks being able to detect injured fish if you watch that this week I don’t have cable so I don’t watch it but I didn’t think of that when I wrote the post

thanks Nerms!  these are all great points!  I have stuck my hand in so I know there is not a short. 

I will check the heater. I have been having trouble with thermometers these days - some not working, etc.

any recs on good thermometers?

On 7/23/2022 at 8:46 PM, Colu said:

It looks like there huddling close to the heater I would check to make sure it's working properly it could have gotten to  cold

@Colui checked the temp with a probe thermometer - and its 80/81 degrees. 

On 7/24/2022 at 3:25 PM, BAT said:

thanks Nerms!  these are all great points!  I have stuck my hand in so I know there is not a short. 

I will check the heater. I have been having trouble with thermometers these days - some not working, etc.

any recs on good thermometers?

Yeah you sure know if there is a short. I use hygger but they have so many. It’s also a money choice because I have so many tanks. They not short but I don’t feel they are the best. If you are on a tight budget then they are a good option.

• Like 1