Lost 2 fish and now my Angel is look rough

Craig Halstead

Help!!

16585082227151154084826134773670.jpg.8b95b48787475736004b135417dcfa1a.jpgWater parameters

Ph ~6.8

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrites 0ppm

Nitrates 10ppm

Hardness ~25

Buffer ~100

Chlorine 0

Temp 88

I lost my black lace angel about 2 weeks ago.  With no outward signs of anything going on until the day before her eyes popped a little with a with ring. Next evening when I got home from work she was dead.  Then a few days later I noticed one discus with hiding behavior and no other signs.  I treated with paracleanse according to the direction on the box.  Following day the discus act a bit better but I ended up losing it on day 3 of treatment.  It has been about a week since I changed the 30% of water according to the box.  A day or 2 ago I noticed my marble angel (the mate to my black lace) starting to stay in the current of my fx6 output.  

I don't know what to treat the tank with now.  I wanted to give them a week or 2 to recover from the paracleanse treatment then had planned to use some expel-p.  

I have a video that I can't get to upload.  It's mp4 and i can't seem to change its file type.

It's a 75 gallon aquarium with live plants 

Not really an informed comment about what is going on with the fish but if they are sitting in the flow I always worry about O2 so do you have an air stone in there if not and you don't have one to hand move the filter to cause more surface agitation.

Hopefully someone else will know a bit more to provide more specific help extra air can only help them as they don't have to work so hard so worth doing

On 7/22/2022 at 6:34 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Not really an informed comment about what is going on with the fish but if they are sitting in the flow I always worry about O2 so do you have an air stone in there if not and you don't have one to hand move the filter to cause more surface agitation.

Hopefully someone else will know a bit more to provide more specific help extra air can only help them as they don't have to work so hard so worth doing

I have an air stone running in the tank at all times! And the fx6 output is pointed up and moves alot of water around close to the top.  

I'm concerned it maybe gill flukes but the paracleanse should have treated those.  So I'm at a loss for what to try next for treatment and if I should wait a bit or start it now.  

Ok that's good, I'm useless with med advice (hopefully watching me fumble around will trigger somebody to help)

Is the fish eating?, is it trying to hide behind the filter the loss of two large tank mates could be making it feel like it's living in a horror film.

I believe a few people go from paracleanse to expel-p as they have different benefits. Not sure how close together is best I generally do a good water change before starting a treatment so I don't have to worry about my parameters during the treatment phase.

I'm sure Irene had a video about using a second parasite treatment I'll try to find it 

What I would do as you have done a course of paracleanse is do a course of Expel p follow up with a second course of paracleanse two weeks after the first course then do another course of Expel p if you start to notice improvement I would follow up with a third course of Expel p

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, Colu said:

What I would do as you have done a course of paracleanse is do a course of Expel p follow up with a second course of paracleanse two weeks after the first course then do another course of Expel p if you start to notice improvement I would follow up with a third course of Expel p

It has been a week since the paracleanse would you start the expel-p now or wait to let them recover a bit more?

This is my first time having to treat fish.  So I really have no idea other than the YouTube videos I have watched.  

Would you treat the whole tank or just the one angel in a QT tank?

On 7/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Ok that's good, I'm useless with med advice (hopefully watching me fumble around will trigger somebody to help)

Is the fish eating?, is it trying to hide behind the filter the loss of two large tank mates could be making it feel like it's living in a horror film.

I believe a few people go from paracleanse to expel-p as they have different benefits. Not sure how close together is best I generally do a good water change before starting a treatment so I don't have to worry about my parameters during the treatment phase.

I'm sure Irene had a video about using a second parasite treatment I'll try to find it 

Yeah I had done a like 70% water change the week before this had all started.  My normal routine is about 50% every week.  Thanks for helping draw the attention and for your advice!

• Like 1

What I would do is course of Expel p now if your dealing with internal parasites you want to treat all the fish not just the one angelfish as they all more than likely have them but aren't showing symptoms yet

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:47 PM, Craig Halstead said:

Help!!

16585082227151154084826134773670.jpg.8b95b48787475736004b135417dcfa1a.jpgWater parameters

Ph ~6.8

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrites 0ppm

Nitrates 10ppm

Hardness ~25

Buffer ~100

Chlorine 0

Temp 88

I lost my black lace angel about 2 weeks ago.  With no outward signs of anything going on until the day before her eyes popped a little with a with ring. Next evening when I got home from work she was dead.  Then a few days later I noticed one discus with hiding behavior and no other signs.  I treated with paracleanse according to the direction on the box.  Following day the discus act a bit better but I ended up losing it on day 3 of treatment.  It has been about a week since I changed the 30% of water according to the box.  A day or 2 ago I noticed my marble angel (the mate to my black lace) starting to stay in the current of my fx6 output.  

I don't know what to treat the tank with now.  I wanted to give them a week or 2 to recover from the paracleanse treatment then had planned to use some expel-p.  

I have a video that I can't get to upload.  It's mp4 and i can't seem to change its file type.

Make it a you tube video and then link it it works best. Its super easy that’s how they showed me do I could post videos. 

• Like 2

Above is the link for the video of what's going on with my angel fish.

Also update on meds.

My buddy recommended I use malachite green and actually gave me enough to treat the 75 gal tank 1 time.  I have Expel-p on order but it was going to be like 4 days before it came.  So I used the malachite green as he thought it would help but so far about 24 hours it it hasn't made a difference.  

The angel took a tiny bit of flake food as it blew past it but didn't leave its spot to try and eat.  He is getting thinner now.  

I don't know what to do.  

Malachite green only treats external parasite such as ich and velvet and fungal infection it won't have any effect on the type of internal parasites your fish has it will just stress them out more I would water change out the medication

On 7/25/2022 at 10:43 PM, Craig Halstead said:

So just give the fish a couple days before adding the expel-p when it first comes.  I think it's due here on Wednesday.  Or would you wait and let the fish rest for a few more days?

As the medication won't arrive for a couple of days start treatment as soon as it arrives

On 7/25/2022 at 1:40 PM, Craig Halstead said:

Above is the link for the video of what's going on with my angel fish.

At about 30 seconds in you can even see one of the smaller fish struggling in the flow.  If you can, try to diffuse the output a bit better so it's pointed towards the surface of the water and causes more movement across the water surface. 

I would highly suggest adding 1-2 airstones right away to help boost oxygenation.

The issues might not even be related to the meds, but just exhaustion and the fish getting worn out.  Are the gills very red?

On 7/22/2022 at 9:47 AM, Craig Halstead said:

The pump on the FX6 might just be too strong (925 GPH - a 90 or 125G aquarium is where I'd use it).  Maybe some foam on the output might be all you need to diffuse it enough and let the fish swim a bit easier.  Wide bodied fish like that are especially susceptible to flow issues because they can easily get pushed around.  I would have an airstone on either side of the tank, spraybar pushing water out / across the top of the water (not into the bottom of the tank.

https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/spray-bar-kit-for-fx4-fx6-filters/

I am guessing this is your current setup:
image.png.fc0d637d054fa9595633452f5b6b5be7.png

You'd want the flow to be like this:

image.png.b034da2f185d7f4244cfe41b06921921.png

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 7/26/2022 at 2:22 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

At about 30 seconds in you can even see one of the smaller fish struggling in the flow.  If you can, try to diffuse the output a bit better so it's pointed towards the surface of the water and causes more movement across the water surface. 

I would highly suggest adding 1-2 airstones right away to help boost oxygenation.

The issues might not even be related to the meds, but just exhaustion and the fish getting worn out.  Are the gills very red?

The pump on the FX6 might just be too strong (925 GPH - a 90 or 125G aquarium is where I'd use it).  Maybe some foam on the output might be all you need to diffuse it enough and let the fish swim a bit easier.  Wide bodied fish like that are especially susceptible to flow issues because they can easily get pushed around.  I would have an airstone on either side of the tank, spraybar pushing water out / across the top of the water (not into the bottom of the tank.

https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/spray-bar-kit-for-fx4-fx6-filters/

I am guessing this is your current setup:
image.png.fc0d637d054fa9595633452f5b6b5be7.png

You'd want the flow to be like this:

image.png.b034da2f185d7f4244cfe41b06921921.png

The output on the filter is choked down some from the valve on the top of the fx6. The outputs on the filter are pointed up toward the surface from about halfway down in the tank. Then the intake is on the opposite side at the bottom.  With and airstone in the back center. The tank has been running for like 8 months now and the fish haven't seemed to have any issues with the flow.  

Also I'm not sure why you are talking about the flow of my tank when I asked about treating a sick fish.  🤔  

The angel has been hanging out directly in the output current by choice.  There are plenty of lower flow areas for them to rest.  

On 7/25/2022 at 7:27 PM, Colu said:

As the medication won't arrive for a couple of days start treatment as soon as it arrives

Thank you for the help!  I'm not sure the angel is going to make it.  I found it on the bottom of the tank this morning on his side.  I moved him to an ice cream bucket with holes drilled in it and an airstone.  If he makes it thru today.  The meds haven't come in.  Would you try a salt dip or something?

On 7/26/2022 at 1:20 PM, Craig Halstead said:

The output on the filter is choked down some from the valve on the top of the fx6. The outputs on the filter are pointed up toward the surface from about halfway down in the tank. Then the intake is on the opposite side at the bottom.  With and airstone in the back center. The tank has been running for like 8 months now and the fish haven't seemed to have any issues with the flow.  

Also I'm not sure why you are talking about the flow of my tank when I asked about treating a sick fish.  🤔  

The angel has been hanging out directly in the output current by choice.  There are plenty of lower flow areas for them to rest.  

Thank you for the help!  I'm not sure the angel is going to make it.  I found it on the bottom of the tank this morning on his side.  I moved him to an ice cream bucket with holes drilled in it and an airstone.  If he makes it thru today.  The meds haven't come in.  Would you try a salt dip or something?

You could add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons till the medication arrives it will add essential electrolytes and aid Gill function to give him more energy I wouldn't do salt baths that will just stress him out in his weaken state having to catch him every time 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:50 AM, Colu said:

You could add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons till the medication arrives it will add essential electrolytes and aid Gill function to give him more energy I wouldn't do salt baths that will just stress him out in his weaken state having to catch him every time 

The angel made it thru the day!  He was still just laying on the bottom.  I have him in a 10 gallon aquarium QT by himself.  I treated him yesterday with expel-p.  When I did the 25% water change I didn't notice any worms that had been excreted.  

I added 3 tablespoons of API aquarium salt to the 10gallon tank.  This morning he was still alive but just laying on the bottom still.  He seems to always be laying on his right side.   

If he makes it thru the day should I water change out the salt?  Or just leave the salt in there with him for a couple days?  I'm honestly surprised he is still alive.  But I have no idea what is causing him to be sick and I'm worried that it is going to happen to more fish in his original tank.