Budget Breeding Rack

Vince C

Hey everyone - my multiple tank syndrome is getting worse 🙂 - and i'm looking at setting up a larger rack system for breeding with room to expand. I have seen everything from 2x4s on blocks - to home center shelving and beyond. Wanting to pick everyones brain on what you all have tried or would recommend - without blowing all the money on the rack - to save more for more tanks and breeding pairs.

Thanks in advance!

We all know the feeling! My thoughts would be to make it modular and have some idea of the tank sizes. Keeping in mind that it will change over time. 

That is, you want to be able to swap out tanks and adjust things as you continue to change your mind about tank sizes, livestock, etc.

I personally went with Gladiator Shelving because I wanted something that looked nice in my basement and could serve another purpose eventually. But I’m limited to what tank sizes can fit certain shelves.

The classic, modular, low budget and totally functional thing is 2x4s and cement blocks. Keeping everything convenient dimensions for lots of tank sizes. I believe @Zenzo has videos about his stands at Tazawa Tanks. 

Hope that helps get you started!

• Like 1

I will definitely have to go check out Zenzos vids on this. Most of the home store shelving seems like it would work for the most part with the 20highs front to back easy, which is probably what I will mostly have - other than 40breeders/55 which would be longways of course.

Thanks again @ScottieB

• Like 1

Cory has the 2x4 on blocks video ind YouTube. That’s why I went that way. I have racks and the 2x4’s and I like the 2x4 best. I think it’s easiest to work with once up. I think if people other you are going to see it and you want to show it off the stand probably looks better. 

Edited by Brandon p

On 7/21/2022 at 11:55 PM, Vince C said:

I will definitely have to go check out Zenzos vids on this. Most of the home store shelving seems like it would work for the most part with the 20highs front to back easy, which is probably what I will mostly have - other than 40breeders/55 which would be longways of course.

Thanks again @ScottieB

The tanks fit but it’s hard to work in them from the tops. 

I used metal racks for a bit, but now prefer to just make them myself from 2x4s. Lot of good videos on this topic. The King of DIY has some good ones. You might want to check out his YouTube channel for some easy rack builds if you go the DIY route.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I used metal racks for a bit, but now prefer to just make them myself from 2x4s. Lot of good videos on this topic. The King of DIY has some good ones. You might want to check out his YouTube channel for some easy rack builds if you go the DIY route.

He does as well and easy to follow.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:30 AM, Brandon p said:

Cory has the 2x4 on blocks video ind YouTube. That’s why I went that way. I have racks and the 2x4’s and I like the 2x4 best. I think it’s easiest to work with once up. I think if people other you are going to see it and you want to show it off the stand probably looks better. 

I did watch Cory's video on the block rack - and I think since i'm wanting to fit more tanks into wall space and have them facing on edge instead of longwise - seems like I should just build a full 2x4 rack. Thanks for the help.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I have watched some of The King of DIY make stands - but I think they were just for his large tanks - I will go search for his racks - thanks again!

• Like 1

Here are the stands that I made with 2x4’s.  6x10g’s and a double 20g long stand, as well.

In my experience, DIY wood stands are a bit cheaper monetarily, but will take longer to plan, acquire materials, and assemble, versus fabricated stands you can assemble in about 15 minutes.  Another consideration is the dimensions of the stand.  Obviously, you can customize the dimensions of a wood stand when designing it, but with the fabricated stands, you may be a bit limited in dimensions.  Also, I just found this out, so I thought I would share: most fabricated stands include the upright posts in the length dimension.  So, if the stand says 48”, the length that you have to work with to put tanks on may actually 45”.

One thing I’ve done is rewatch all of the fish room tours of breeders.  Look at the design of the stands they use and try to figure out which one(s) would work best for your application. For example, a stand that’s a little more heavy duty, maybe a DIY stand for King of DIY or a gladiator fabricated steel rack.  If you need one that saves on space with less tanks, maybe one using 2x4’s and bolts to support the sides of the tank.  Aquarium Co-Op retail store uses this stand design, and one of Dean’s walls has a similar, but also different, design to this.  

Again, it’s all up to you in finding a design that works best for your application, but have fun experimenting and designing.  Don’t settle on a design for the sake of having it up sooner.  I found this process very rewarding when I finished.

Good luck!

44305FEE-7F4B-4F22-B599-9C9B0D3949EB.png

My racks are composite resturant backstock shelving (Cambro Camshelving Basics Plus).  600lb rated per shelf 4 shelves high. I do around 50 gallons per shelf or 450-500 lbs. Lightweight and rustproof. Disclaimer is they not budget but comparable cost with other options. My guess would be the 2x4's and block option is the best budget option. 

Purchased them more for lightweight adjustibility and ease of set up, moving, and breakdown by myself. I change things up semi regularly this set up allows me to just pull up the shelves that sit on the crossmembers and use a rubber mallet to pop off the horizontal supports to move any shelf up or down in 4" increments for most of the length of the uprights. 

20220724_151406.jpg

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Love 1

On 7/24/2022 at 9:43 AM, Aaron Hanson said:

Here are the stands that I made with 2x4’s.  6x10g’s and a double 20g long stand, as well.

In my experience, DIY wood stands are a bit cheaper monetarily, but will take longer to plan, acquire materials, and assemble, versus fabricated stands you can assemble in about 15 minutes.  Another consideration is the dimensions of the stand.  Obviously, you can customize the dimensions of a wood stand when designing it, but with the fabricated stands, you may be a bit limited in dimensions.  Also, I just found this out, so I thought I would share: most fabricated stands include the upright posts in the length dimension.  So, if the stand says 48”, the length that you have to work with to put tanks on may actually 45”.

One thing I’ve done is rewatch all of the fish room tours of breeders.  Look at the design of the stands they use and try to figure out which one(s) would work best for your application. For example, a stand that’s a little more heavy duty, maybe a DIY stand for King of DIY or a gladiator fabricated steel rack.  If you need one that saves on space with less tanks, maybe one using 2x4’s and bolts to support the sides of the tank.  Aquarium Co-Op retail store uses this stand design, and one of Dean’s walls has a similar, but also different, design to this.  

Again, it’s all up to you in finding a design that works best for your application, but have fun experimenting and designing.  Don’t settle on a design for the sake of having it up sooner.  I found this process very rewarding when I finished.

Good luck!

44305FEE-7F4B-4F22-B599-9C9B0D3949EB.png

Thanks for the info - those stands look great. I have decided to definitely make my own as well - just figured I would test the waters first before committing. Best of luck on your breeding also!