Quarantining otos

Hanks Tanks

I’ve had bad luck with Otos in the past so I want to do it right this time. Do I load up the quarantine tank with algae and let them feast awhile and then take it out for applying the medication trio? How do I “not feed” them during medication?

Not feeding is to keep the water quality high since commercial foods pollute the water is my understanding.  If it’s live algae that helps keep the water clean and adds oxygen. Meds are rough and often depleted oxygen.  I don’t keep oto but I have heard them not getting food right away is an issue though. 

• Like 1

Ottos can be very tricky. You really want to make sure they look like they are well fed at the store. You start at a major disadvantage if you don't. 

I don't feed my fish when I quarantine with meds, so again it goes back to the otto being well fed. There's no law that says you can't try to feed during QT, but it can make the meds less effective.

The 2nd biggest thing in my mind is to start low in quantity. One otto can do incredible work. I wouldn't fault anyone for trying one at a time and taking it slow to build a school.

Other tips:

Cory has suggested driftwood could be a food source for ottos. I always have some in my tanks.

Make sure the tank is "well-seasoned" and not a brand new sterile environment. Sometimes waiting for the brown algae to start showing up is a good sign that your tank could support an otto. 

Try multiple types of food. They can be picky. The internet is your friend here. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 6:02 AM, Hanks Tanks said:

How do I “not feed” them during medication?

I would start here....  I really wish we had a tool where whenever someone types in "oto" this thing pops up as a very nifty and very cool check this out.

Secondly, here is the care guide.

To your question though.  I would bring in the otos, QT them and then take a piece of wood even from an active tank, a stone, something that has some stuff on it.  Feed them for a few days, then start the trio.

• Like 1