On 7/21/2022 at 7:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

what was your dose on the first run?

I did the level 1 salt treatment. 

On 7/21/2022 at 9:01 PM, Colu said:

If you have do 100% water over gradually over that time without add salt backit should be all gone so you will be ok add the level of salt I suggested @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Thanks @Colu. I’ve been leaning on you a lot lately. Thanks for sticking with me.

You as well @nabokovfan87.

Medicating is out of my comfort zone.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:18 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I did the level 1 salt treatment. 

I think if you do a 40-50% WC (won't harm the fish or the tank) and then re-dose with level 1 again.  You'll be fine.  Even if it's slightly over level 1, level 2 is safe, and what most of us use.  Level 3 being what is recommended by the ACO for issues such as yours.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 9:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I think if you do a 40-50% WC (won't harm the fish or the tank) and then re-dose with level 1 again.  You'll be fine.  Even if it's slightly over level 1, level 2 is safe, and what most of us use.  Level 3 being what is recommended by the ACO for issues such as yours.

I hesitate to go level 3, as what we are looking at could be damage rather than persisting illness. I am thinking we need to nurture their slime coat for a few.

Changed 60% water so far. 30% this morning, then 30% this afternoon. The tank water is still discolored from the Jungle Fungus meds.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 6:29 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Changed 60% water so far. 30% this morning, then 30% this afternoon. The tank water is still discolored from the Jungle Fungus meds.

Right, but you might change....

30% of the water initially ---> 30% of that new volume is changes (5-10% is old water, unknown).  This is where I try to utilize 50% water changes for the sake of knowing that a good portion of the meds are removed.  In treating my tank, I do 50% changes (sometimes more, sometimes less) and it took 3 for me to remove the meds and see the aeration return to normal.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:29 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I hesitate to go level 3, as what we are looking at could be damage rather than persisting illness. I am thinking we need to nurture their slime coat for a few.

Makes sense.  I think you'll be safely in the level 2 range or somewhere between 1 and 2.

• Thanks 1

I believe all the meds have been water changed out at this point.  The little guys are still doing well.  Anytime I water change I carefully redose the salt that is removed.  They are at the level 2 salt treatment.  They are eating good. Frozen brine shrimp and Xtreme Krill.  

It is my understanding that columnaris could have killed them in 24-48 hours, then wiped out the entire tank.  Is that right?  It's that dangerous?  If that's true, man did I get lucky!  First thing I did was isolate them. 

On 7/26/2022 at 2:25 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I believe all the meds have been water changed out at this point.  The little guys are still doing well.  Anytime I water change I carefully redose the salt that is removed.  They are at the level 2 salt treatment.  They are eating good. Frozen brine shrimp and Xtreme Krill.  

It is my understanding that columnaris could have killed them in 24-48 hours, then wiped out the entire tank.  Is that right?  It's that dangerous?  If that's true, man did I get lucky!  First thing I did was isolate them. 

Depending on the stain of columnaris it can kill your fish in 24hr to 7 days it highly contagious and has a high mortality rate

• Thanks 1

Wow.  We've been doing the treatment for what, almost 3 weeks?  I'm proud.  I've had no losses, and no one else was affected.  All signs point to a full recovery for these guys.  Thanks @Colu & @nabokovfan87!

I saw someone's horror story on YouTube. She had a tank of gorgeous cichlids, and lost most of them to the disease.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Wow.  We've been doing the treatment for what, almost 3 weeks?  I'm proud.  I've had no losses, and no one else was affected.  All signs point to a full recovery for these guys.  Thanks @Colu & @nabokovfan87!

I saw someone's horror story on YouTube. She had a tank of gorgeous cichlids, and lost most of them to the disease.

24hr to 7 days is without treatment if you catch it early enough and start treatment they have good chance at recovering

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

It’s been one week since the last checkup. Here they are today. I’m really not sure when to return them to the tank. I assume this is scarring. Otherwise if they had an active infection still they’d be dead, based on the timeline of this disease. Yet I still worry the disease could spread. @Colu @nabokovfan87

FF3B8FFA-6D2A-4994-8B05-E7E75300AF5A.jpeg

7462B751-DBE4-4909-A94F-40BEC06E1701.jpeg

9B355E43-CE3F-4787-BB69-10476C71292B.jpeg

5E6E7B50-E3B1-4E4B-9905-A99BF248F030.jpeg

62BB3C98-6CCF-431C-B654-71D4DB9DDFD5.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

I would keep them in quarantine for another 2weeks just to be on the safe side as you have seen no reoccurrence of symptoms I would just leave a low dose of salt in their and monitor after 2 week I think you will be fine reintroducing them to the main tank 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I only have Soilent Green.

hm.... try that, mix in some krill flake maybe right before it sets!  I would have to check the ingredients but it would have the vitamins and stuff that might be helpful for them right now.

• Thanks 1