The course of ick x, salt, and Maracyn is complete. I took the fishies out for inspection in a clear container. The littler one looks fine, just paler. They haven’t had any light exposure in a week though.

The larger one that had worse symptoms looks improved but he still has square patches of discoloration (paleness) that interrupt his black stripe. I don’t know if that means he is still ill or if the fungus or bacteria damaged his scales and they need to heal

I changed 20% water. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

These are photos I found online when searching for columnaris.  These photos are consistent with what my fishy is showing.  See how the betta has a square of paleness?  That's what the neon has.  Paleness squares.  They do indeed look much better than last week.  When he is recovered, will I still notice any trace of the columnaris?  I'm assuming I need to go a second course of treatment at this stage.

(I also looked at photos of fungus and they do NOT look like the symptoms my fishies have.)

image from fishlab.com

image.jpeg.c7961dde14f301ccc84b442337113ac5.jpeg

image from fabaquarium.com:

image.png.92bdb551a1d19148d55f33e192ddfa25.png

@Colu

I would follow up with a second course of treatment when they are recoved from columnaris you shouldn't notice any signs unless they developed mouth rot which is common with columnaris then you might have a bit of permanent mouth damage

Edited by Colu

On 7/15/2022 at 8:39 AM, Colu said:

I would follow up with a second course of treatment when they are recoved from columnaris you shouldn't notice any signs if it unless they developed mouth rot which is common with columnaris then you might a bit of permanent mouth damage

Columnaris sounds evil.

Should I skip the ick X this time since I don't see indication of fungus?

Also, how is the kanaplex and jungle fizz different from maracyn?  I need to buy more meds because the box of maracyn only had 8 packs. (Why wouldn't it have 10 if each treatment is 5 days? LOL.)

I wouldn't do another course of ick x maracyn treats mostly gram positive and some gram bacteria while kanaplex is a more broad spectrum antibiotic and treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria jungal fungus clear fizz tab contain nitrofurazone that treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria the most effective treatment I have for columnaris is a combination of kanaplex and a nitrofurazone based  medication that provide a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment for more severe infection such as columnaris body rot  I use this treatment plan nitrofurazone isnt snail or shrimp safe can effect plants causing some melting

IMG_20220714_201545.jpg

Edited by Colu
Ment to put isn't snail or shrimp safe typo

On 7/15/2022 at 8:56 AM, Colu said:

I wouldn't do another course of ick x maracyn treats mostly gram positive and some gram bacteria while kanaplex is a more broad spectrum antibiotic and treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria jungal fungus clear fizz tab contain nitrofurazone that treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria the most effective treatment I have for columnaris is a combination of kanaplex and a nitrofurazone based  medication provide a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment for more severe infection such as columnaris body rot  I use this treatment plan nitrofurazone is snail or shrimp safe can effect plants causing some melting

IMG_20220714_201545.jpg

Thanks @Colu. I will go ahead and get these meds. How much water should I change first?  Changed 20% so far.  Also, what about the salt?  There is 3 Tbsp in there now.

I did an afternoon water change of 40%

That’s in addition to the 20% this morning.

Fed the fishies some frozen brine shrimp (just a little) and they ate well.

Kanaplex and Jungle Fungus will arrive tomorrow. I sure hope they smell better than the Maracyn. That stuff smelled very chemically. Kind of like that stinky soap in the hospital’s soap dispensers. 😝

In the meantime, I found something weird in the bottom of the tank. There is a sponge filter in there and a couple rocks, a cube decoration, and a silk plant. I don’t know what this is. Do you think it came from the fish?

Sorry for shakiness. I had some blood drawn this afternoon (just routine checkup stuff) and I think that’s what is causing it. Anyway. All the stuff on the paper towel was found laying on the bottom of the quarantine tote.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I want to get the dosage to a morning schedule. My first dose was last night around 7pm. Then I gave half dose of JF this morning and will do the other half at lunchtime. Then AM only from then on because I work weekdays and like to do my tank maintenance in the morning before I head out. Fishies seem to be doing OK. No signs of stress that I can see.

I always get a bummed out feeling when I dose meds. I don’t like doing it. It’s not natural for them. And I especially hate the ones that discolor the water.  The smell of Maracyn was very anticeptic too which bothered me. The fishies don’t have any choice. People just dump stuff in their water, and the only thing they can do is live in it.

But then what’s the alternative? Let the whole tank get columnaris? I did a little reading up on columnaris and it looks like it could be awful if it advances. It can eat a hole in a fish?

So we stay the course. It’s tough love, I guess. 😞

On 7/15/2022 at 8:56 AM, Colu said:

I wouldn't do another course of ick x maracyn treats mostly gram positive and some gram bacteria while kanaplex is a more broad spectrum antibiotic and treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria jungal fungus clear fizz tab contain nitrofurazone that treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria the most effective treatment I have for columnaris is a combination of kanaplex and a nitrofurazone based  medication that provide a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment for more severe infection such as columnaris body rot  I use this treatment plan nitrofurazone isnt snail or shrimp safe can effect plants causing some melting

IMG_20220714_201545.jpg

The Jungle Fungus box says a dose every four days. Your instructions have a daily dosage. It worries me..? I have 2 doses in so far. Just want to make sure since you said Jungle Fungus can be overdosed.. are we ok to proceed?

The instructions I give in my treatment plan are for severe infection like columnaris and body rot as long as you follow the treatment plan and do you water change as indecated it fine I no lots of people who have used this successful to treat columnaris it's the most effective treatment I have found 

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 3:47 PM, Colu said:

The instructions I give in my treatment plan are for severe infection like columnaris and body rot as long as you follow the treatment plan and do you water change as indecated it fine I no lots of people who have used this successful to treat columnaris it's the most effective treatment I have found 

Thanks Dr. @Colu!

Still no signs of stress. We are doing ok here.

• Like 1

Alright we are on the last day. Tomorrow I can start doing water changes. I have had this in my cabinet for awhile. I think it’s a good time to put it to use to help clear out these meds. @Colu @nabokovfan87I’m using a sponge filter. Think if I just put some carbon into a pantyhose (my method of making mesh bags, LOL), tie it and drop it in, it would be effective? Or would I need to somehow attach it to the sponge filter? 

33563E5B-2903-4371-8ECC-B8B29B326014.jpeg

I did the 30% water change this morning and added the carbon to the top of the sponge filter.  The buddies ate good.  I gave them some frozen brine shrimp.  They had been on a 5 day fast during the Kanaplex/Jungle Fungus treatment.  I plan to do another water change this afternoon and transfer them to a clear container for their check-up.

I can see some improvement I can still see some patches on the black lateral line that could be damage caused by the columnaris what I would do is keep them in qarantine for another week with some aquarium salt 1 table for 2 gallons  before putting them back in the main tank 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:14 PM, Colu said:

I can see some improvement I can still see some patches on the black lateral line that could be damage caused by the columnaris what I would do is keep them in qarantine for another week with some aquarium salt 1 table for 2 gallons  before putting them back in the main tank 

I did salt on the first round so I want to ensure correct dosing. With all the water changes, do you think the salt from course 1 is gone? I changed water after course 1, 20% at a time til I got to 100%. I plan to do the same to remove the Jungle/Kana.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:21 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I did salt on the first round so I want to ensure correct dosing. With all the water changes, do you think the salt from course 1 is gone? I changed water after course 1, 20% at a time til I got to 100%. I plan to do the same to remove the Jungle/Kana.

what was your dose on the first run?