Thinking of getting a canister filter

Suzie

Hello!I just bought a new 45 gallon aquarium, and I'm toying with the idea of buying a canister filter. Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated! Thank you, Suzie

Edited by Suzie

I like and use the Oase Biomaster  it is a little more  money but it is a easy canister filter for my needs  i had to buy for my needs then the price tag I tried all the other brands  and canister took them back they did not work for me   ,, and i love the prefilter it helps where you do not need to clean the whole filter as often  plus it has a handle to carry it  very handy  plus I pimp it up some  change the media to what i like and use  in it to make it run better  i bought without the heater ,,, it comes blue round sponges for the predfilter  but they sell the round black ones that is better and last longer  their big blue sponge and orange sponges are really good and last a long time the orange one lasted a year before i had to replace  it 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:46 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I have a old fluval and I can't fault it really, 10 years no leaks and I have only had to replace the primer handle still running the original sponges and ceramic media. And it is quiet which is important to me. 

Same here, mine is a hand me down and I have had it at least 10years and it wash at least few years old them

• Like 1

I was getting ready to recommend the Penn Plax Cascade canister filters as I've used two of them for five-plus years with no problems, but the price has now more than doubled from what I paid. What the heck? I last bought one in 2017 and paid under $80 for it (tax included) and it's now almost $200 pre-tax. Uh, what? They're good filters but I wouldn't buy one at that price.  A quick look around shows all of the canister filters have jumped a lot in price since I last looked at them. I would look at other options than a canister given the current market.

• Like 1

Add me to the list of Eheim users. I have two 2217s on a 135 & a 2217 on a 55. All have the upgraded spraybars & prefilters. Over the years, I've had some 2215s (liked) & 2232 (didn't like, because it was just easier to prime normally than use the built in system).

My only issue I have ever had with the eheim canister filters is if the mount for a clip breaks, I don't trust it anymore & replace it. I toss the "bucket" & save the motor/lid, plus all of the guts for backup parts. Years ago, I did not maintain them well & was not as cautious, so I continued using one that had a missing clip. It was probably 10 years old. We had a power failure & when the power came back on, apparently another clip mount was broken & the pressure of starting back up popped the top. It drained most of the 135 onto the floor. Again, that was my fault for not properly maintaining a roughly 10 year old filter, that I knew was broken, but the possibility is there.

Edited by Tazalanche

I run a Fluval 406 on the 55. I decided to err on the side of over-filtration. I usually close the valve about half way to keep the current mellow.

It's a nice filter, although it's my only experience with canisters; I only have the one tank. It's quiet and powerful. If I turn the flow all the way on it'll suck up all the stuff from gravel vac-ing and algae scraping as well as give the fish a workout—like spinning class for tetras.:classic_cool: