Pics/stories of ginormous nano tanks

Have any of you kept or seen great examples of big tanks with tiny fish? I've been thinking about something like a 75 or 125 with, like 1,000 CPDs or something like that. (Wouldn't have to be CPDs)

I'm wondering what kind of planting would work well too. I feel like giant swords would be the wrong scale for the little fishies.

How about nanos in a 100 gallon?  If I had a do-over, I would pick fewer species and more of them, but I couldn’t stop myself.  I have Kubotai rasboras, chili rasboras, ember tetras, and celestial pearl danios as my mid and uppers.  2 groups of cories - bronze and trilineatus, about 6 or so otos, and 3 species of pleco - mostly bristlenoses, a gold nugget, and a clown. Also have Kuhli loaches that I don’t see much.  I was hoping there would be enough of them, and enough cover, they would be comfortable coming out more.  🤷🏻‍♀️ I knew the risk that I might not see a lot of them.  They are still worth it.

I’m still gradually adding to the nanos and just ordered another 20 chilis today from Aqua Huna.  They’ll have 4 weeks in QT after they arrive before they go in the tank.  My current chilis LOVE hanging out in the swords on the far right extending towards the center back and in my overgrown Crypt. pontederiifolia on the far left.  I have about a dozen in each group on either end of the tank and I’m not even sure if they ever meet.  😆   I’m hoping more in the tank will make them into a more cohesive group.  I suspect I’d need at least 60 or more of the chilis to make much visual impact.  I plan to add another 10-12 each of Kubotais and CPD’s at least.  I have a dozen embers almost ready to come out of QT - Monday if still looking good.

I don’t know if you can even appreciate the little guys in this pic. Right now, the Kubotais and embers are the predominant visual other than the plecos.

82A095F4-C923-49F9-9E92-9B64EA0F38B7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 6/25/2022 at 9:55 PM, Odd Duck said:

How about nanos in a 100 gallon?  If I had a do-over, I would pick fewer species and more of them, but I couldn’t stop myself.  I have Kubotai rasboras, chili rasboras, ember tetras, and celestial pearl danios as my mid and uppers.  2 groups of cories - bronze and trilineatus, about 6 or so otos, and 3 species of pleco - mostly bristlenoses, a gold nugget, and a clown. Also have Kuhli loaches that I don’t see much.  I was hoping there would be enough of them, and enough cover, they would be comfortable coming out more.  🤷🏻‍♀️ I knew the risk that I might not see a lot of them.  They are still worth it.

I’m still gradually adding to the nanos and just ordered another 20 chilis today from Aqua Huna.  They’ll have 4 weeks in QT after they arrive before they go in the tank.  My current chilis LOVE hanging out in the swords on the far right extending towards the center back and in my overgrown Crypt. pontederiifolia on the far left.  I have about a dozen in each group on either end of the tank and I’m not even sure if they ever meet.  😆   I’m hoping more in the tank will make them into a more cohesive group.  I suspect I’d need at least 60 or more of the chilis to make much visual impact.  I plan to add another 10-12 each of Kubotais and CPD’s at least.  I have a dozen embers almost ready to come out of QT - Monday if still looking good.

I don’t know if you can even appreciate the little guys in this pic. Right now, the Kubotais and embers are the predominant visual other than the plecos.

82A095F4-C923-49F9-9E92-9B64EA0F38B7.jpeg

I can’t see the fish very well, love the plants.  Is that a Gila monster on you wall?  Crazy! I haven’t seen one of those since I was a kid growing up in the Sonoran desert

On 6/25/2022 at 11:37 PM, Ken Burke said:

I can’t see the fish very well, love the plants.  Is that a Gila monster on you wall?  Crazy! I haven’t seen one of those since I was a kid growing up in the Sonoran desert

I need to take some closer pics of my nanos.  I’m a bit obsessed with my plecos currently.

Yes, it’s a Gila monster.  I won the photo in a silent auction at a vet conference.  Proceeds went toward research grants about medical care of reptiles and amphibians.

• Like 2

😍👌Awesome planting. Zoomed in to spit diff lil fhishy friends. Definitely gotta post some close ups. I have CPD’s and chillis in a nano tank and love them. But the thought of a huge table and a gazillion of these lil guys sounds amazing. I’m out of reactions still. 🥴

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 11:46 PM, Odd Duck said:

I need to take some closer pics of my nanos.  I’m a bit obsessed with my plecos currently.

Yes, it’s a Gila monster.  I won the photo in a silent auction at a vet conference.  Proceeds went toward research grants about medical care of reptiles and amphibians.

Odd duck indeed if you have venomous lizard pictures on your wall. 😳🤣😜

On 6/26/2022 at 6:55 AM, Georgiapeach88 said:

😍👌Awesome planting. Zoomed in to spit diff lil fhishy friends. Definitely gotta post some close ups. I have CPD’s and chillis in a nano tank and love them. But the thought of a huge table and a gazillion of these lil guys sounds amazing. I’m out of reactions still. 🥴

I’ve had cardinal tetras for years.  Never really saw the schooling until I put several into my 75 gallon. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, Ken Burke said:

I’ve had cardinal tetras for years.  Never really saw the schooling until I put several into my 75 gallon. 

Nice. I’m I love with rummy nose tetras for schooling they are amazing. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 7:32 AM, Ken Burke said:

You don’t really have to wonder why I choose that moniker. I also have 2 pics of veiled chameleon faces in that same grouping. A pic of an elephant and a barn swallow. Each purchased from silent auctions over the years at various exotics vet meetings.

That’s completely aside from being a “tomboy” my whole life and knowing far more about cars and engines than fashion.  Walk in high heels? Me?  Nope!  Gonna be a faceplant at some point. I don’t even own a pair. Soccer shoes for playing paintball, jetski boots or high top tennis for doing stupid human tricks on the souped up stand up jetski, yeah I’ve got a couple pairs.

I still have one of the first jetskis we bought, a WaveJammer. It looks somewhat like a duck sitting in the water and one of the reasons I use the name.  My most often used jetski (I use that in the generic sense, not the, “It’s a Kawasaki” sense) has rubber duckies in the paint. 

4793162F-76AC-4D0A-BDFA-1DC8E88C6A35.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/26/2022 at 10:09 AM, Odd Duck said:

You don’t really have to wonder why I choose that moniker. I also have 2 pics of veiled chameleon faces in that same grouping. A pic of an elephant and a barn swallow. Each purchased from silent auctions over the years at various exotics vet meetings.

That’s completely aside from being a “tomboy” my whole life and knowing far more about cars and engines than fashion.  Walk in high heels? Me?  Nope!  Gonna be a faceplant at some point. I don’t even own a pair. Soccer shoes for playing paintball, jetski boots or high top tennis for doing stupid human tricks on the souped up stand up jetski, yeah I’ve got a couple pairs.

I still have one of the first jetskis we bought, a WaveJammer. It looks somewhat like a duck sitting in the water and one of the reasons I use the name.  My most often used jetski (I use that in the generic sense, not the, “It’s a Kawasaki” sense) has rubber duckies in the paint. 

4793162F-76AC-4D0A-BDFA-1DC8E88C6A35.jpeg

Girl I felt that 🙋‍♀️Tomboy myself.. 😂😂but love ya chose odd duck. 

Our 55 has range of fish from nano - all the way up to fish that will top out around 4-6 inches (they aren’t that size now). We have emerald rasboras, CPD, guppies and a lone endler as our main nanos. We also have a few rainbow species that may or may not be considered true nano (Threadfin & shiner).  I have a small group of clown killis I’d like to add but I just don’t trust the lid yet (it has a small gap at the back atm). We are about to add serpae tetra (in Q tank) and I’d love to find a few more endlers to add in.