Discus Growth

So we ordered 10 discus in April all came in at 2.5 inches. I have noticed that some just don’t seem to be growing at all. Both pictures below are from today. The first picture is of the largest two and the second is of the smallest. Any suggestions on how to help the little guy gain size? I don’t want the others to start harassing the smaller ones.

91FBB2E7-A3E2-4E37-B24C-A316FB8A8EF9.jpeg

5A5DA31C-CC71-46C0-9E16-1B6304E75A94.jpeg

• Love 3

Beautiful!

I feed mine frozen food with a syringe. Larger ones lunge to food first. Then, I'll move to the back of the pack and target feed the smaller ones in the back of the pack.

Forgive my rambling... here's a feeding video from just the other day...

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@Fish Folk I use a pipet the same way.  My angels have it figured out and swimming up to hit the end of it.  

tried feeding bloodworms to my new discus for the first time tonight.  Couldn’t quite figure out how to down bloodworms. It ignored the daphnia, so reverted to flake.  

still pretty shy, hanging out with the angels when they let it.  It most feel like an ugly duckling. I’m ordering a few more discus this week. That should help 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 7:32 PM, Fish Folk said:

Beautiful!

I feed mine frozen food with a syringe. Larger ones lunge to food first. Then, I'll move to the back of the pack and target feed the smaller ones in the back of the pack.

Forgive my rambling... here's a feeding video from just the other day...

These babies normally eat from my hand. So I know they are all eating. The smaller ones tend to stay and eat while the bigger ones go to the bottom and eat. I will feed on one side and my son the other side.

• Love 2

On 6/19/2022 at 7:18 PM, Sharlotte Adams said:

These babies normally eat from my hand. So I know they are all eating. The smaller ones tend to stay and eat while the bigger ones go to the bottom and eat. I will feed on one side and my son the other side.

@Sharlotte Adams how did they respond to being dewormed? Did any of them act differently during the deworming process? Did any of them struggle with any of the quarantine trio?

On 6/20/2022 at 2:44 AM, Torrey said:

@Sharlotte Adams how did they respond to being dewormed? Did any of them act differently during the deworming process? Did any of them struggle with any of the quarantine trio?

Everyone did perfectly fine with the deworming and trio process. They all eat at every feeding. They have been very active from day one, just a few seem to be growing much slower than the others. Their tank is in my office area so I can see them while working. I think the two largest are attempting to pair off, could the release of certain hormones cause growth delay in the others?

On 6/20/2022 at 12:23 PM, Sharlotte Adams said:

Everyone did perfectly fine with the deworming and trio process. They all eat at every feeding. They have been very active from day one, just a few seem to be growing much slower than the others. Their tank is in my office area so I can see them while working. I think the two largest are attempting to pair off, could the release of certain hormones cause growth delay in the others?

That has been the subject of a lot of conjecture with no really established devices to reliably test. How big is the tank again? Do you have a 60 or larger to set up as a breeding tank for the two trying to pair off? Are you even interested in trying your hand at breeding discus?

There have been breeders and other discus hobbyists over the years say that discus will release hormones to keep others from growing. I have seen it when growing out a group of 2-2.5" discus where two or three will grow much faster and then one or two won't hardly grow at all. What I have done is pull the one that are not growing as fast and put them into a separate tank, and they usually will start growing, unless it has been too long and they are stunted a lot. I am sure the hormone thing is something so that the few grow quickly and get to spawning size and not have much or any competition.