Filterless Tanks

Patrick_G

Do you have a Filterless tank? What do you think of them? Post pics of yours. 

last year I  set up a little nano tank and @Streetwisenudged me in the direction of going filterless. Since then I’ve set up another one and have a third in process. It’s neat to see these tanks develop with clean, clear water that’s toxin free and has good plant growth. I think the key is a very light stocking and high plant mass. 
87EDFAA4-8D88-4A35-8563-B0903DACB493.jpeg.9815e86628bc64b72c83e5e119b26cec.jpeg

Three gallon started fall of 2021. Aquasoil provides the primary nutrients with a small dose of East Green every few months. Stocking is a few pond snails. No filter or heater. 
0D83EDC7-43A6-408B-AB14-6591F33EBAA4.jpeg.004742599506d7a617ce466ab4d5b62b.jpeg
BAEF77E1-285D-446A-BA59-63AA1C047F4E.jpeg.3bbdfb15a03bb22984c5a896b7068516.jpeg

Another three gallon that was started in the summer of 2021. Aquasoil under sand with regular doses of Easy Green. It was stocked with a trio of Sparkling Gourami and a Peacock Gudgeon. It went many months with no filter, but eventually added an Aquarium Co-op sponge to create a bit of flow and remove some detritus. I think it wasn’t necessary, but the added flow and air were probably beneficial. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Here's my filterless, heat-resistant tanks. The middle one has red cherry shrimp breeding in it, the outside two are recovering from being over run with cyanobacteria, but will have other shrimp in when I get more plants in there. They've been going for a couple of years now could use some attention, but I like to see it do its thing and just remove the big dead leaves if they make a mess. 

20220620_091421.jpg

• Like 3

@Penny, those tanks look great, are they five gallon? Three in row is a good look, I might have to try that! 

On 6/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, Jeff said:

I struggle with the balance of: high plant density / no Nitrates / light feeding. Plants obviously need some Nitrates. 

In the first tank in my original post there is very little N in the water column, but I have aquasoil on the bottom and most of the plants are growing in a Wabi Kusa ball made from aquasoil mud. I’m guessing that I’ll have to start adding more N as time goes on. 

• Like 1

7A3DF10D-E7E9-4BDC-8E93-D146A5B3A71F.jpeg.121fdbf66fd8100637229537c2cb43ad.jpeg

The tank on the left has a substrate system of laterite and lava rock with some Osmocote +, then aquasoil and gravel. The plant mass in the back left corner is a wabi kusa ball with a fern and tripartite Japan in it. I’ve been thinking about putting Caridina shrimp in it. The right one is just a Wabi Kusa with all aquatic plants.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, Streetwise said:

Great topic! Mine are done with organic soil, so I start with a big nutrient battery.

With the organic soil do you find that most of the N compounds stay in the soil or do you see a lot in the water column? I mean after the initial settling in period? 

On 6/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

The right one is just a Wabi Kusa with all aquatic plants.

Is the plant with red stems Ludwigia Repens? 

On 6/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

The tank on the left has a substrate system of laterite and lava rock with some Osmocote +, then aquasoil and gravel. The plant mass in the back left corner is a wabi kusa ball with a fern and tripartite Japan in it.

I really like the pond type look this one has.

@Patrick_Gyep. I have some new plants coming in this week hopefully they'll go into a filterless setup down the road. I think I may try to be patient this next time with a cube like you have going and see if I can do soil and other amendments to go moderate light and see what I can get. I also want to do a really high tech tank with the works but all this is after the move. 

On 6/20/2022 at 6:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

With the organic soil do you find that most of the N compounds stay in the soil or do you see a lot in the water column? I mean after the initial settling in period? 

Is the plant with red stems Ludwigia Repens? 

I really like the pond type look this one has.

How can you determine if the Ns are in the substrate or the water column?

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jeff said:

How can you determine if the Ns are in the substrate or the water column?

I just test for Nitrate in the water and compare it to how much I’m adding via Easy Green. The difference is probably what leeching out of the soil. Not very scientific, I know! 

• Like 1

Would anyone who had success with filterless be interested in giving a very broad “how to” on setting this up and what’s worked for them? I’ll preface this by saying I’ve done countless research, even attempted this a few times with little success, but perhaps hearing it from some other club members like those who commented might be what’s missing and also maybe I’m not the only one here interested who struggles with dialing things in filter less, thanks in advanced 

• Like 1