Hatching brine shrimp.

TeeJay

Ok guys I'm interested in hatching brine shrimp for my 29 and 10 gal guppy tanks. Is it possible to hatch small quantities for just 2 tanks? If so what's the easiest and best way to do it?

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:26 PM, TeeJay said:

Seems easy enough to make my question is what's the best way to get them out once the have sunk to the bottom.

I use a WalMart oral medicine syringe with a 6-inch piece of airline attached to the end. My WalMart Pharmacy gives syringes to me upon request for no charge.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, Fish Folk said:

I use a WalMart oral medicine syringe with a 6-inch piece of airline attached to the end. My WalMart Pharmacy gives syringes to me upon request for no charge.

Nice. So if I happen to hatch to many at once there is no way to "keep" them after hatching correct?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, TeeJay said:

Nice. So if I happen to hatch to many at once there is no way to "keep" them after hatching correct?

You can drip them into an ice cube tray and freeze them. Serve cubes by just dropping them into a tank.

The challenge is allowing the cysts / egg shells to separate from the live Artemia. You just want the shrimp to be served. Those floating casings are irritating to have built up in your aquarium.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:44 PM, Fish Folk said:

You can drip them into an ice cube tray and freeze them. Serve cubes by just dropping them into a tank.

The challenge is allowing the cysts / egg shells to separate from the live Artemia. You just want the shrimp to be served. Those floating casings are irritating to have built up in your aquarium.

Oh duh why didn't I think of that. Just like making my own frozen brine shrimp. Well that's a 2 for one then.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, TeeJay said:

Is this really possible?  Just use a small amount of eggs.   Different size measuring spoons.  Just increase the size of the spoon until you get to amount you are happy with.   Of freeze the extra?

I got one of these from Amazon

Screenshot_20220621-221112.png.43425c85b096068db7fad5d557e81831.png

Mine came with a bracket so you can mount it in the tank. 

I only run a couple of tanks so hatch about an eighth of a teaspoon every other day unless I have young fry.

Half a teaspoon of aquarium salt to 300ml of water works for me 

• Like 1