How do you clean your bare bottom tank?

SandSea

How do you clean your bare bottom tank?

IF you use a sponge filter, OR

IF you have a sponge on your intake (canister or hang on back

swirling the h2o works if you expect it to be sucked in the filter, but with  sponges do you vacuum everyday?

I hate to see my Corys or bristlenose, or synos swimming around in "waste"

I have sponges on my intake (thanks aquariumcoop, I like my sponges)

1.  Gravel Vac the bottom when the bucket is 1/2 foll I take the sponge off and put it into the bucket and continue to vacuum.
2.  I usually use two buckets. One of them for sponge, the other is to get the % of WC I want.  I usually clean the sponge as best I can, then move it to #2 for a second clean if need be.  Everything goes into the "clean bucket"
3.  Dump the water in the plants outside and then the remainder is in the yard.  I rinse it out, put everything back in the tank and then I fill it with new water. 

On a deeper clean, before re-filling, I'd take the filter apart, clean the pump and everything else that I need to.

• Like 1

Depends on fish-size of the fish and the size of aquarium.  Find what works for you the best….  Find what is easiest and most convenient for you.  Be honest, if it easy, fast and efficient we are more likely to do it.  And you might find each tank might be different.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...