Angelfish tank

GuppyMan

I have a 29 gallon tank and want to get angelfish for the tank and i know you can have a pair in the tank but i cant locate any pairs in my area and was wondering if i could keep one angelfish with some cory catfish or if anybody knows any other way to get pairs?

20 is way too small. Some people use a 29 to breed angels and some would argue it is large enough though I feel a 29 is also too small. A 40B is too shallow for adult male angels. Probably the smallest is a 50 (which is a 40B but taller). Others might have difference of opinion but that is my experience. Personally I feel my 120 is too small for angels esp when they get spooked. They can cover the tank in a fraction of a second. I'm getting them a 400.

My angels bred in quarantine in a 12 gallon tank (10 G foot print, an inch or so taller).  🤦🏻‍♀️  I thought they were subadults and didn’t expect pairing until I had them a few months.  They decided otherwise. They are now in the 100 G and on their fourth clutch of eggs. They ate the first 2 clutches as wigglers then as they just starting free swimming for the second clutch.

The Plecos ate their third clutch laid in the 100 G. They have successfully removed the unfertilized and a few fungused eggs and kept them overnight this time. I’m not worrying about raising any babies right now so the Plecos are welcome to eat the eggs again.  It likely triggered the Plecos to breed  😆 

When I do decide to attempt to raise any angel fry, I will either put the pair into my 20 G or my 29 G pending what I do with my pea puffers.  Neither tank would be a long term spot for the angels. Only for breeding, then back into the main tank.  If a 20 high or a 29 is good enough for Dean, it’s good enough for me. Especially with this relatively small pair. Would I do that with altums or even with my big boy?  Probably not the 20 G, maybe the 29 G. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

To get a mated pair I would look on Aquabid. Frequently you will see offers for pairs. They are pricey. Cheaper option would be buy 5-7 dime or quarter size angels and grow them out. Put a lot of plants and wood as sight breaks and hiding spots. Get a group of hardy fish like platys as dithers - the angels will hunt the babies and platys act as a distraction to diffuse some of the aggression amongst them. Eventually you will end up with a pair out of your group and then you will need to rehome the other 3-5 fish and most likely your platys as well. Even better you could end up with 2-3 pairs and recoup your investment selling the other pairs. 

Once you have a pair keep them warm 80+, clean water, feed them live and frozen foods high in protein and you'll eventually get eggs. Can use a piece of slate but the fish will decide what and where - often they like lift tubes and amazon sword leaves sometimes wood. Then it is a decision to have them raise the fry and it may take them a half to a dozen times to get it right or they may never. Some people keep the lights on all the time so that they don't get startled and eat the eggs.