Will shrimp outcompete small snails?

billango

So I'm thinking of getting some shrimp to add to my community tank, and I currently have a small/moderate population of pest snails. I really don't mind them at the population they are at which seems to have stabilized. I was just wondering if the shrimp I add will reduce this population. I feel like in theory it would because the shrimp can get around faster and probably will eat a little more than the snails, but I could also imagine the snails needing so little food that they could always find something. Has anyone noticed a tangible difference when adding shrimp to a tank in this regard? And also I know that food control is the best way to regulate the snail population. Again, I don't mind the snails at all with the population theyve established themselves at in my tank, but I'm just curious in general. Thanks!

i was wondering about snails and shrimp together .. I have always saw people have snails or shrimp   not mixed I would  like to have both if i can i am wanting to one day  change to have a bottom feeder tank mostly  as my current fish thins out  .. I am keeping the cories and bristolnose . I have nerite and mystery snails  both I have hard water and ph will allow to iget red cherry shrimp i have one  bristolnose , 7 cories and small 5 tetra and rasbora   

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, Bev C said:

i was wondering about snails and shrimp together .. I have always saw people have snails or shrimp   not mixed I would  like to have both if i can i am wanting to one day  change to have a bottom feeder tank mostly  as my current fish thins out  .. I am keeping the cories and bristolnose . I have nerite and mystery snails  both I have hard water and ph will allow to iget red cherry shrimp i have one  bristolnose , 7 cories and small 5 tetra and rasbora   

Because snail digestive systems are inefficient their waste provides tons of beneficial stuff for shrimp. I hard water and higher ph is fine for cherry shrimp. 

• Like 3

I find that once shrimp get to a very dense concentration you start seeing reduced snail population among egg laying snails. Shrimp are livebearing and can eat snail eggs, and most of the common 'pest' snails you see in North America are egg layers. A lot of the snails from Southeast Asia like Malaysian Trumpet Snails, Assassin Snails and Rabbit Snails are livebearers and won't be vulnerable to shrimp in the same way. But because shrimp are so mobile and cherry shrimp in particular are prolific breeders there will be less resources available for juvenile snails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:59 AM, billango said:

So I'm thinking of getting some shrimp to add to my community tank, and I currently have a small/moderate population of pest snails. I really don't mind them at the population they are at which seems to have stabilized. I was just wondering if the shrimp I add will reduce this population. I feel like in theory it would because the shrimp can get around faster and probably will eat a little more than the snails, but I could also imagine the snails needing so little food that they could always find something. Has anyone noticed a tangible difference when adding shrimp to a tank in this regard? And also I know that food control is the best way to regulate the snail population. Again, I don't mind the snails at all with the population theyve established themselves at in my tank, but I'm just curious in general. Thanks!

When I decreased food to decrease my snail population, I had a decrease in shrimp instead. 

As Guppysnail said, they tend to establish a homeostasis and kinda balance there... and will increase in quick response to increased food. I am seeing fewer population jumps now that I am feeding fresher foods more often, like green beans and carrots. Also allows me to do a visual body check on all creatures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have both shrimp and pest snails. The shrimp definitely do not outcompete the snails to the point where their population will decrease. To be honest, it's very hard to starve/outcompete a population of pest snails. I haven't seen any population decrease, just that snails in tanks without shrimp breed like crazy. 

• Like 2