What species of crypt is this plant ?

On 6/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Could be a Cryptocoryne undulata. I initially thought it could be a wendtii but the veins are too pronounced.

From internet search it is nothing like undulata; those leaves are more like narrow java fern - that is elongated with pointed end.

Could also be a variety of striolata.  They have wider leaves and prominent markings.  Many different varieties, so very hard to tell which one this might be.  Crypts also tend to have significant variation in color and form based on water and light conditions, so it’s incredibly hard to guess what most are.  Plus they have developed color varieties from the same species, which complicates identification even further.

I'm pretty sure it is a nurii variant but that doesn't help a lot as there are a *lot* of nurii. And yes it has been growing; also for whatever reason this plant looks totally different in my hi-tech tank (picture above) than in my low-tech tank. Talk about a plant with multiple personalities.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 8:32 PM, anewbie said:

I'm pretty sure it is a nurii variant but that doesn't help a lot as there are a *lot* of nurii. And yes it has been growing; also for whatever reason this plant looks totally different in my hi-tech tank (picture above) than in my low-tech tank. Talk about a plant with multiple personalities.

I think this is true for all crypts. It's very interesting to see the same varieties, out of the same cup .... Look totally different from tank to tank. And as you mention, even in the same tank!

I love crypts but it makes it hard to place them sometimes. "Oh this one in my 20 is exactly what I want in my 75. *Pulls off baby plant and plants*.... 3 months later... What happened!?" 😂

Then you don't want to dig it up... Haha