Native FW Fish

Jimfish98

Thinking of doing a tank of just freshwater fish native and my searches on info are just a hot mess between fishing sites, books, etc. 

Any good sites for native FW fish for aquariums? Know of two sites selling that look like they are stuck in the 90's with their site, but beyond that nothing. Even just a site with photos. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 9:04 PM, lefty o said:

what kind of natives are you looking at?

Nothing in particular, but community like. I just picked up some FL Flag Fish to add to the tank and it had me thinking. Been working on replacing my grass here in FL with wildflower and native stuff and was thinking about maybe doing something new with the tank where I just stick with the local stuff that would be in our waters already. Figure as space opens, replace stuff with natives until the whole tank is converted. 

• Like 1

@Jimfish98 I totally understand what you mean about dated websites! But I promise that this source will get you great fish. I have ordered nearly all of my NANF from there. Here is what I've kept so far:

Rainbow Shiners (Notropis chrosomus)

Southern Redbelly Dace (Chrosomus erythrogaster)

Rainbow Darters (Etheostoma caeruleum)

Banded Darters (Etheostoma zonale)

Swamp Darter (Etheostoma fusiforme)

Florida Flagfish (Jordanella floridae)

Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma okefenokee)

Banded Sunfish (Enneacanthus obesus)

This week, I plan to add:

Saffron Shiners (Notropis rubricroceous)

Let me know what you're interested in learning more about, and I'll be glad to share my experiences.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, Jimfish98 said:

Nothing in particular, but community like. I just picked up some FL Flag Fish to add to the tank and it had me thinking. Been working on replacing my grass here in FL with wildflower and native stuff and was thinking about maybe doing something new with the tank where I just stick with the local stuff that would be in our waters already. Figure as space opens, replace stuff with natives until the whole tank is converted. 

the above ones listed by fishfolk are a good idea. larger game fish while cool are big eaters, and big poopers.