Amazon puffer fluval flex 32 gallon

Hi y’all So I decided to change my setup still keeping the same plants and stuff but I decided to go into Amazon puffers, I got a trio, I read they like being in groups, and thought that is a good number, also I know like my spotted Congo they need sails, what snails are the best for trimming their beak? And is there any other info I should know? 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:47 AM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hi y’all So I decided to change my setup still keeping the same plants and stuff but I decided to go into Amazon puffers, I got a trio, I read they like being in groups, and thought that is a good number, also I know like my spotted Congo they need sails, what snails are the best for trimming their beak? And is there any other info I should know? 

How big are they at this point? My green spotted puffer is about 1.25” and he has trouble with the harder shells on some ramshorn snails. He much prefers bladder snails. I’m sure he’ll be able to eat them when he grows, but for now I have to break the up for him. 
From what I’ve heard is very hard to keep up with tooth growth on Amazon puffers so you’ll probably want a lot of snails. If you can’t find them locally there’s a guy on Aquabid who sells them. 

For teeth trimming I use any snail I can find as well as culls of cherry shrimp and adolescent dwarf crayfish. For snails I use snails of whatever size that can be crushed in their mouths either MTS, ramshorn, mystery, or pond/bladder snails. I have done krill soaked in vitachem and also occasionally added crushed oyster shell (you can find it as a chicken feed addititive at most big box and feed stores) into a repashy gell food with some success. I view it as worth having that frozen/freezedried or gel options available should I ever run out of snails or culls. 

If given the choice mine will wait at the front door of the snail grab it when it peaks out and pull the snail out by grabbing and tail flicking to swim in reverse. They generally work smarter not harder if they think they csn get away with that route they wont bite through the shell. 

• Like 1

I have not done amazon puffers before but I have known a few people who have. I believe they are one of the faster growing teeth of the kept puffer species so shelled crunchy foods should at least delay the need to trim teeth.   I would defer to those who have kept that species for the specifics. There is a great blog article on them here

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/amazon-puffer-care-guide

On 6/4/2022 at 7:02 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok gotcha, if they have a good constant supply of snails then trimming their teeth should never have to be manually done?  What is the happy temp they like it seems online they like around 78 degrees but want to see if that is correct

From what I've been told by a few Amazon Puffer keepers on another forum tooth trimming is almost inevitable, but can be delayed by a snail heavy diet. 

My mom used to volunteer at the National Aquarium. For their beaked marine fish they would mix food with some sort of plaster. That might be worth a try for the Amazons. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 12:08 AM, ChargerstoLA said:

I was recently looking into Amazon puffers as they are purely freshwater and do not need brackish conditions. Where did you find them?

I didn’t know there teeth grow so fast. Good thing I have so many snails in my tanks. 

They're fairly common at local fish stores, but seem to be seasonal. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...