Sick clown loach (ick? velvet?)

anewbie

My clown loaches have picked up an illness and are not doing well. The tank is nearly 4 years old. The only thing added in the past 6 months was a group of cherry barbs (on May 7 so nearly a month ago). They are laying on their side. Last night i added one does at around 70% (7 capful) of kordon ick treatment. I've also raised the temp to 88. My plans are later today to add another 7 capful of kordon. THen tommorrow to do a 30% water change and perhaps tomorrow after noon add another 7 capful. I'm leary of kordon since the loaches are scaleless and this isn't healty for them but i'm also concern since they are not doing well. The only other fish I've seen with ick is one serpae tetra (I have 2); i've not seen ick on any of the other fishes (zebra loaches, cardinals, angels, various pleco).

I'm not even 100% sure it is ick but i think it is - the dots look a bit finer than i remember ick should be almost like powder sugar. I'm not sure if i should wait and see if the heat is enough to kill it or if i should be adding more kordon rid ick plus. I'm not 100% sure the cherry barbs triggered it - the other thing i had done was added a spray bar to the fx6 about 3 weeks ago. I removed it saturday since the current was causing issues with some of the fishes.

clown3.jpg.b62cec40f7b77030e798311e2b5d8e80.jpg

He have you tell the difference between Epistylis and ich the recommended treatment for Epistylis is kanaplex in food it feeds off of gram negative bacterial on the skin of your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures am not sure of you picture if it's Epistylis 

Screenshot_20210915-195657~2.png

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Yea but how to treat. For some reason I thought Epistylis was less uniform but yea that is closer. Really not sure how to treat.

Ok I'll order some kanaplexo and mix it solient green and only feed that for a few days.

No clue what 'focus' is.

Edited by anewbie

Tank is too large and deep for me to catch them - to do a salt bath; they would have to be nearly dead and then the salt might be too much. I'm more worried about columnaris and no clue how to treat in a tank like this...

• Sad 1

The best treatment I found if your not sure if you have ich or Epistylis is ick x or you can use kordon rid ick and kanaplex in food this covers all bases if it is Epistylis the ich medication active ingredient malachite green inhibits the growth of gram positive and gram negative bacterial couple with kanaplex in food is a very  effective treatment 

It is definitely not ick; I'm dosing the whole tank with kanaplex  but would like something more effective (and less harmful for the fish) than ick medicine. also my understanding is kanaplex can kill bacteria in the filters.... so that shall be fun.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:35 AM, anewbie said:

It is definitely not ick; I'm dosing the whole tank with kanaplex  but would like something more effective (and less harmful for the fish) than ick medicine. also my understanding is kanaplex can kill bacteria in the filters.... so that shall be fun.

When treating Epistylis you want to add the medication to food treating the water column isn't very effective and it's less likely to harm your benefial bacterial when added to food  if your clown loach are still eating I would recommend dose their food using the recipe I provided

Edited by Colu

On 6/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, Colu said:

When treating Epistylis you want to add the medication to food treating the water column isn't very effective and it's less likely to harm your benefial bacterial when added to food  if your clown loach are still eating I would recommend dose their food using the recipe I provided

Not sure they will eat it but we can try. Kind of expensive to add each item individually; they should just make a single mix it all product.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, Colu said:

Well it seems they are not eating - i've been mixing it in soilent green - i've order some focus and that other stuff and when it arrives monday I'll try to mix it with some bug bites if they hold out that long.

• Sad 1

They are large - they would need at least 30 gallon tuffleware and i don't have one or a place to put it. Also they don't want to be caught... they hang out in front but if i put a net in the tank they run to the very back under the plants.

• Like 1

They both look like good options- the 9w has replacement bulb and does 210gph- has lots of reviews so seems like it's reliable. 

The other one, it has higher wattage (and bulb replacement included too)- is that an advantage in this sort of application? I think it is. also has variable GPH so if you have other/smaller tanks that could be an advantage. Less reviews tho- however I think I might lean towards the aquashine. 

What are you thinking?