Scape Concept - Searching for the Kelp Forest

Hey everyone,

It's been something I tried to do in my larger tank with a lot of stem plants.  I had PSO, Scarlet Temple, Bacopa Caroliniana, and some other plants.  I tried to get some susswassertang, but I never did have any success with it.

I did learn from @Odd Duckabout some amazing moss species that have some unique designs.  I also see some plants like Mayaca Fluviatilis or Aponogeton Crispus that replicate the "feel" of this type of environment. 

How would you try to replicate it?  My current thought is to use suss and glue it to some tall/thin hardscape.

• Love 2

Agreed @Patrick_G I have also seen "red kelp forests".  Amazing little section of the Pacific waters I'd love to visit one day.

I am watching this video again, I see their background and it reminds me of a Suss or Moss wall. So depending on which is used, that's definitely the route I want to take to "start" this scape.  I am thinking something like what we saw at Ocean Aquarium in SF but just slightly more trimmed to the wall of the tank.  Then inside of the swimming space, having that tall, slender, specific texture from something on nano branches or from a specific stem species.

Difficult to say, and you'd definitely have to get the right moss/suss for the job.  The one I keep staring at is pointed spear moss.

image.png.7261068ab6bd4c8af8b9b60d4810b500.png

Hmmm.  I suspect Aponogetons, like ulvaceus or crispus, would likely be best at giving you the “feel” of it.  If you’re trying to go for more the “look” of it then you might consider using Crypt. wendtii “Bronze” growing with the roots tucked inside some sort of flexible tube. Maybe skinny, black, matten foam strips/cylinders with slots or holes cut into it?  I’ll keep you posted on how my narrow-leaf Sag grows in their foam blobs, but so far, so good, they seem to be prospering.  Denser foam is going to keep fertilizer granules in place better if you use any.  Otherwise crypts should do fine with water column feeding.

For moss options, I’d look for giant willow moss or Cameroon moss for the best chance at imitating the kelp.  Many types of mosses will work for the moss wall.

It’s a great project idea.  Can’t wait to see what how you end up doing it.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 12:46 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Moss could potentially be: Distichophyllum "Maibarae" Moss or Hookeriaceae Moss

Looks like hookeraceae with the brown stems.  Distichophyllum maibarae has green stems.  I don’t think it will get tall enough to give you the kelp effect you’re looking for unless you’re only talking about the moss wall.  Either would be beautiful on a moss wall but both are fairly slow growing compared to the Taxiphyllum group.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 6/25/2023 at 3:46 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

A massive thank you to @mountaintoppufferkeeper for sending me some sußwassertang to play with! It was lost by the local post office for nearly a week!

I'm excited. It's beautiful. And hopefully I can do something fun and exciting with it.

Looking forward to updates hopefully it settles in nicely 

• Thanks 1