Best plants for 55g

What kind of light are you using and are you using c02. 

A 55 is pretty deep so you'll need a decently bright light to grow dwarf hair grass or micro sword. I think some crypts might be a better option for the bottom level. The scarlet temple will also appreciate a bright light.  The Lily bulbs will do great in any light. I’d also consider some Java fern and maybe some Pogostemon Octopus too. 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, Patrick_G said:

What kind of light are you using and are you using c02. 

A 55 is pretty deep so you'll need a decently bright light to grow dwarf hair grass or micro sword. I think some crypts might be a better option for the bottom level. The scarlet temple will also appreciate a bright light.  The Lily bulbs will do great in any light. I’d also consider some Java fern and maybe some Pogostemon Octopus too. 

It’s nothing special as far as lights go it’s just a 48inch(same as tank) led shop light I stole when I redid my shop this is the tank now with just some tetras in it to help you get and idea 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:38 PM, Chiclid addict said:

It’s nothing special as far as lights go it’s just a 48inch(same as tank) led shop light I stole when I redid my shop this is the tank now with just some tetras in it to help you get and idea 

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:26 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Based on substrate, I'd stick to stems and rhizome as a focus. You can get away with some stuff mentioned like valisnaria and other plants that can propagate pretty easily with runners.  I would have crypts up front, root tabs, and then val in the back.

What is wrong with the substrate? I’m new to planted tanks 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:44 AM, Chiclid addict said:

What is wrong with the substrate? I’m new to planted tanks 

Nothing. It's just an inert substrate.  It just means what some types of plants will do better (water column feeders) compared to others that would feed mainly through the roots. Some plants might feed through both (I believe) but prefer one or the other.  There's some cool tests I've seen on youtube about how much it helps to have certain brand of root tabs compared to others and they did a control with only water column dosing.

Interesting stuff for sure.

So the substrate is fine! I have my old sand tank in my journal if you want to check it out, 55/75G and it worked fine!  Especially PSO (I'll screw up the spelling but) something like water sprite or pogostemon stellatus octopus should do very well with that substrate. Vallisnaria is another great one.

Edited by nabokovfan87