My luck with filters

Chris45

I bought one of these filters a few days ago and filled it with some fine wool filter pad. The idea being to use this extra one as a water polisher.

https://www.aquariumuniverse.com.au/products/cruise-internal-aquarium-power-filter-700lph

Got it in the tank, turned it on and waited for the water to clean up. 

Like watching paint dry, I continued to watch.... the water slowly get dirtier and dirtier. The increased flow stirred up everything from the bottom. To be expected, but I thought it would eventually all get caught in the filter.

As I continued to watch, I noticed the particles fly right by the intake at the bottom and also get sucked into a number of other gaps at the top with great force! The main gap being a gaping hole around the out pipe. So the water was going in and straight out again without passing through any of the filter material.

Pretty stupid design imo.

Is there some kind of fish-safe, putty-like substance I can use to plug up the gaps or some other solution? I could use blutak, but not sure if that would leech and poison the fish...

Edited by Chris45
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm no DIY expert, but I'm pretty sure many people use aquarium-safe silicon for decorations and stuff. I know it has to dry and cure for 24-48 hrs after application, but I'd imagine that would do the trick. I think it has to be 100% silicone to be safe for your fish. 

• Like 1

If you're after polishing, going with the AquaClear powerhead and their prefilter with the fine pads is hard to beat for the cost. For larger thanks, the Marineland Magnum filter is amazing from what I can tell. I have not used their new model, but back in the day I had a handful of their H.O.T. series and they were powerhouse polishers.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 4:53 PM, Tihshho said:

Marineland Magnum filter is amazing from

I use it as well.  Love them.   I would use there micron filter.  Sometimes I would first coat it with diatomaceous earth.  There should be some videos on YouTube videos n how to do this.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 2:43 AM, Hannah Parker said:

I'm no DIY expert, but I'm pretty sure many people use aquarium-safe silicon for decorations and stuff. I know it has to dry and cure for 24-48 hrs after application, but I'd imagine that would do the trick. I think it has to be 100% silicone to be safe for your fish. 

It's a modular setup and it seems to suck in water from in between the modules that fit together. So it would need to be something that doesn't set or cure, else I couldn't take it apart easily for cleaning etc

• Like 1

Maybe look into underwater tape like they use for pool liner repairs or the gorilla tape for underwater. Research what adhesive it is to be sure it would be fish safe.

another option slightly funny looking. Wrap it tightly in Saran Wrap and secure it around with zip ties. It won’t make it water tight but should reduce how much water gats taken in.  
Was it supposed to come with some type of gasket that maybe was missed being put in the package? it is odd that such a critical design flaw was overlooked. 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:57 PM, Guppysnail said:

Maybe look into underwater tape like they use for pool liner repairs or the gorilla tape for underwater. Research what adhesive it is to be sure it would be fish safe.

another option slightly funny looking. Wrap it tightly in Saran Wrap and secure it around with zip ties. It won’t make it water tight but should reduce how much water gats taken in.  
Was it supposed to come with some type of gasket that maybe was missed being put in the package? it is odd that such a critical design flaw was overlooked. 

Would cling wrap work?

On 6/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, Chris45 said:

Would cling wrap work?

Cling wrap is the same as Saran Wrap so I think it would. I’ve never done what you are trying but I’ve used it for other things is what made me think it could not hurt to try. 

Use zip ties to hold it when it gets wet it loses its “sticky”

On 6/3/2022 at 10:13 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Shove some filter floss in the gaps. It will help grow more beneficial bacteria for you in the meantime as well. 

Oooh covering filter floss with the wrap sounds ideal! At least as a Boy Scout try 😁

• Like 1