Gourami - update

Cinnebuns

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: ~20

GH - high af - usually around 18

PH - 8.0 

I have 3 "red honey gourami" aka thick lipped gourami. I have noticed this one getting plumper and plumper. At first I thought maybe it's a female and eggs but it's getting pretty big now. I'm considering hospital tank and fasting but I want some input. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Sad 1

On 5/31/2022 at 10:59 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: ~20

GH - high af - usually around 18

PH - 8.0 

I have 3 "red honey gourami" aka thick lipped gourami. I have noticed this one getting plumper and plumper. At first I thought maybe it's a female and eggs but it's getting pretty big now. I'm considering hospital tank and fasting but I want some input. 

If it were eggs the bloating would be more concentrated at the bottom of the fish where the eggs come out. It looks like pretty severe bloating. Also looks like the fish is breathing pretty heavy. As this stage there’s no guarantee it will pull through. Just do the best you can to treat it and hopefully everything will be okay.

It could be Dropsy I can't tell if theirs any pineconing the most effective treatment for Dropsy is kanaplex in food to treat an possible internal bacterial infection metroplex to treat the water column as it treats aeromonas bacteria a cause of Dropsy and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons to help reduce the fluid buildup 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu

@Colu going to tag you since you gave the most in depth response. 

I put the fish in a hospital tank with salt. I fully intended to start him on the lowest dose and work my way up, but my ADHD brain did it wrong. I didn't realize this until a full week was almost up. He had a little less than 3 TBSP per 1 gallon. He now looks much better but is still slightly round. I decided to put him back in the main tank primarily because he started to lose a lot of color. After half a day in the main tank all his color is back and he seems to have plenty of energy. 

My question is this:  given he's still kinda round, although much better, should I maybe eventually put him back in the Salt? And if so, should I keep it at the same "full dose" concentration?  I assume yes on the 2nd but I have to ask just in case. If I do put him back in the salt, how soon should I do so?  

Tyvm!

You can leave him in the main tank and do Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes twice a day or you can put him in a Qarantine with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  I would also do a course of kanaplex in food salt has reduced the bloating but has solved the underlying cause 

• Thanks 1

That's a male and he is definitely very bloated. He looks a better in the second video, but not perfect. If it's an infection, I would follow Colu's advice and treat with antibiotics in food. Putting him in a separate hospital tank is best for now, to at least give him some rest and reprieve from other fish possibly bothering him.

Good luck with this sweetheart, I hope he feels better soon.