Fancy Goldfish Boo Boo

Aquatictimes

Luna my 2 1/2 year old beauty I think injured herself while my male was trying to mate. She was full of eggs and I took out the only possible sharp object in her 90 gallon pond. I can’t tell if it’s improving or getting worse. I gave her 7 day treatment of melafix (yes let’s all sigh together, I had it on hand and used the last of it up because it didn’t look bad at first) as well as two tablespoons of salt per three gallons of water. I have a water change tonight and if it’s not better I can quarantine her but she gets really stressed when away from the others so I was trying to avoid that. I do have Methane Blue on hand. I was thinking of getting a qtip tonight and putting it on her. I don’t have parameters in this post because I believe it to be started by a cut and they will change tonight with the water change. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Soap bubbles in last picture are from the melafix  

8398BFB4-68FF-4CA5-87C6-DC29E3CC8FF1.jpeg

B5D43654-4510-467C-9FE5-C6EAEADE4297.jpeg

91D0FE4B-6D38-4317-B89F-28E2C5FF6997.jpeg

7C8A41A7-C49C-4FF4-86BB-7BF9D5552065.jpeg

5C82429F-0A9F-4BFC-900A-D95D9E1988C9.jpeg

F9AC7ED9-5AEB-4470-9952-2B538D8E8EB8.jpeg

C61BDBFD-DE4C-40BE-9FA6-61D4E259831B.jpeg

Edited by Aquatictimes
Added Photos

On 5/27/2022 at 11:20 AM, Colu said:

If you don't have live plants I would add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 to help provent any secondary bacterial infections while it heals 

Thanks I currently have two table spoons per 3 gallons in as I bumped it up  this week. I’ll continue to watch and wait. 

It’s gotten worse. She has a second spot starting. I think she stopped eating. I have been treating her with kanaplex in her food and quarantine tank for 4 treatments now. The fourth treatment was today. I have now added furan for what I believe is septicemia. I added salt again 2 tablespoons to her four gallon. Please help me save my three year old girl. Red spots disease?? 

0F90E1D5-750E-4718-8833-920B865FE850.jpeg

608A5F79-C447-4CA2-97F5-B0A937364232.jpeg

6BDD63D1-3126-4ABE-A97E-906605A1C7D6.jpeg

It's not looking good Keep treating with kanaplex in food and do a full course of furan2 and salt I think your doing everything you can for him at the moment I don't think that's hemorrhagic septicemia it looks more like an ulcer or an abscess to me it could have ruptured 

Edited by Colu

Not sure if they have this up in your area, but I know of a few vets who will take in aquatic animals. Usually only goldfish, koi or bigger fish. I suggest because we're not yet sure what type of bacteria we're dealing with here you may want to consider a vet if things get more extreme so they can shed some light on the subject and help you and your beautiful goldfish. I wish you and your girl luck and hopefully everything works out 🙂

Sorry to hear that she didn't make it   it's possible something else was going on internally that why she didn't respond to the medication it's never easy when you lose one of you pets at least you did all you could for her

• Like 1

Awww @Aquatictimes I'm so very sorry for your loss- she was GORGEOUS. I understand totally how you feel so I'm not going to tell you to not feel that way- we feel very responsible for these little lives no matter how much of an effort we put in to save them when we lose them it feels like we didn't do something right- but you did- you tried your hardest, like @Colu pointed out- there may have been more going on there than you knew. 

I really appreciate your words you are very kind thank you for your help and understanding. I feel so responsible for little lives in my care and I really beat myself up when something goes wrong. She would have been three this month so yeah so young in my opinion and she was so gorgeous and here come the water works again. 

• Sad 2