New Shrimp Tank 10 gal

Hi Folks!

We started a new shrimp tank... We didn't like the idea of the shrimps babies getting eating, so we decided to move them to their own 10 gal tank up in my office. We used enriched soil and have a handful of plants. We were rather disappointed that the carpeting plants didn't work in the main tank (LFS tells me that w/out CO2 carpeting plants won't grow). We feel like we need some more plants in here... any suggestions are welcomed. Also, we didn't include a heater. We live in NorCal, it doesn't snow here and we use the house heater in winter to keep the temperature above 68F. Do you think a heater is necessary? 

image.jpeg.9e1c5a66fa617707816862e76c439a1e.jpeg

Edited by Chris2022
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Check out the most recent blog post. There are some good recommendations for this kind of set up. I personally like crypts for rooted plants in a small tank and Anubis for rhizome plants. Both have different types that will fit more fore ground and more mid/background.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/cookie-cutter-for-10-gallon-aquarium

Edited by Dancing Matt
  • Like 1

I agree that crypts would be a good choice.  And no, you don't need a heater.  I left shrimp in tubs outside all last winter.  At one point the tubs had a thin layer of ice covering the top for two days, and after it thawed the shrimp were swimming around like nothing had happened.

Edit:  Those were neocaridina shrimp.  I know less about the temperature requirements for other shrimp.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 9:49 AM, JettsPapa said:

At one point the tubs had a thin layer of ice covering the top for two days, and after it thawed the shrimp were swimming around like nothing had happened.

What climate zone are you? 

On 5/23/2022 at 5:09 PM, Dancing Matt said:

Check out the most recent blog post. There are some good recommendations for this kind of set up. I personally like crypts for rooted plants in a small tank and Anubis for rhizome plants. Both have different types that will fit more fore ground and more mid/background.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/cookie-cutter-for-10-gallon-aquarium

This is pretty awesome! 

On 5/24/2022 at 6:49 AM, JettsPapa said:

I agree that crypts would be a good choice.  And no, you don't need a heater.  I left shrimp in tubs outside all last winter.  At one point the tubs had a thin layer of ice covering the top for two days, and after it thawed the shrimp were swimming around like nothing had happened.

Edit:  Those were neocaridina shrimp.  I know less about the temperature requirements for other shrimp.

Oh wow. We have neocaridina as well. Im glad to hear they'll do well without a heater. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, Patrick_G said:

Looks good. Half a dozen low crypts will go a long way to covering a 10g. Some Pogostemon Stellatus octopus is a great looking, fast growing stem plant that makes good shrimp habitat.  

and you can grow a carpet in low tech or no tech tanks. This one just has a cheap light, no heater or filter 

BEF77C64-3A82-4E17-A74F-8A171C708D1C.jpeg

That looks awesome.... what carpeting plant do you have there? 

On 5/24/2022 at 2:41 PM, Chris2022 said:

That looks awesome.... what carpeting plant do you have there? 

It's Monte Carlo. I gave it a head start by using the dry start method. You plant it on moist aquasoil and cover the aquarium like a terrarium. Since you don't have algae worries you can run the light all day.  Once it gets rooted you can add water. It's would be much nicer with co2 but I'm happy with it, and it was a fun experiment. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:44 PM, Jennifer V said:

I would try some floating plants too. I have duckweed in my shrimp/snail tank and they love picking at the roots. 

You can't see it in the picture but there are two frobit plants floating on top. Our main tank has duckweed and Im sure some of that will make it over when I transfer the shrimp. I like the frobit a lot more than the duckweed, hopefully its easy to grow.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:22 PM, Patrick_G said:

It's Monte Carlo. I gave it a head start by using the dry start method. You plant it on moist aquasoil and cover the aquarium like a terrarium. Since you don't have algae worries you can run the light all day.  Once it gets rooted you can add water. It's would be much nicer with co2 but I'm happy with it, and it was a fun experiment. 

I really like the look of carpeting plants... I may have to look at getting some CO2. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...