New tank

Hello! Recently got a new 10gal tank. It has a HOB filter, substrate, heater, one Java Fern and two anubias(no fish yet). I filled up the tank with tap water, added seachem prime and let it run for 24hours. Tested the parameters and I got a reading of 1ppm of ammonia (ph is 7.0). I retested 3 days later and am still getting an ammonia reading. Is this an issue? I have liquid ammonia and want to start the cycling process but don’t want to overdose. Also, plants are safe in the tank with cycling right?

Edit: I tested my tap water and got a super high reading of ammonia. Kinda skeptical about that. I’ve read that chloramine could be causing the ammonia readings? 

Edited by Newbie

Yep plants are fine! I know I've seen videos or articles on cycling with plants specifically. I think it can alter the cycle a bit because the plants can use up the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates during the process, so you might not see exactly the same pattern as a cycle without plants.

You could also add a beneficial bacteria product to help get it going. You're probably seeing ammonia because you don't yet have enough of the bacteria that break it down into nitrite then nitrate. It'll happen naturally over time; your plants likely have some of the beneficial bacteria on them, it just needs to multiply. But you can give it a boost with a supplement. 

Edited by Anjum

On 5/21/2022 at 6:55 PM, Newbie said:

Hello! Recently got a new 10gal tank. It has a HOB filter, substrate, heater, one Java Fern and two anubias(no fish yet). I filled up the tank with tap water, added seachem prime and let it run for 24hours. Tested the parameters and I got a reading of 1ppm of ammonia (ph is 7.0). I retested 3 days later and am still getting an ammonia reading. Is this an issue? I have liquid ammonia and want to start the cycling process but don’t want to overdose. Also, plants are safe in the tank with cycling right?

Edit: I tested my tap water and got a super high reading of ammonia. Kinda skeptical about that. I’ve read that chloramine could be causing the ammonia readings? 

Chloramine can increase the ammonia reading but shouldn’t be “super high”.  Usually it’s only a trace, not high levels.  Are you using test strips or the API Master test kit?  Can you show us test results, please?  If we have more information we can give better advice.  Hold the test tubes up against the white part of the card right next to the ammonia color swatches.  Or hold the test strip against the color chart so we can also read which test block is which.  Take pictures in the most natural light available.  Please do both your tap and your tank for us.

Some plants can be sensitive to extremely high levels, but most plants will utilize the ammonia as fertilizer.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

Chloramine can increase the ammonia reading but shouldn’t be “super high”.  Usually it’s only a trace, not high levels.  Are you using test strips or the API Master test kit?  Can you show us test results, please?  If we have more information we can give better advice.  Hold the test tubes up against the white part of the card right next to the ammonia color swatches.  Or hold the test strip against the color chart so we can also read which test block is which.  Take pictures in the most natural light available.  Please do both your tap and your tank for us.

Some plants can be sensitive to extremely high levels, but most plants will utilize the ammonia as fertilizer.

Tap

8F40EEDD-2BA5-4B6C-8BD5-77675445C1B6.jpeg

On 5/21/2022 at 10:07 PM, Newbie said:

Tap

Tank

F19AE653-948F-477E-93CE-2C85232CBF1B.jpeg

On 5/21/2022 at 10:07 PM, Newbie said:

Tap

Tank

F19AE653-948F-477E-93CE-2C85232CBF1B.jpeg

Might’ve messed up the original tap test/ over exaggerated?

My tank looks to be 2ppm now?

On 5/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, Odd Duck said:

Both look like 1.0, which is high enough to be concerning if you had fish in the tank, plants should be fine.  Let it ride and keep building BB’s.

Once BB is established, I introduce a fish, and begin my water changing cycles.. anything extra that I should be doing other than dosing prime? My BB should take care of it in time before it becomes a concern?

thabks for all your help ❤️

Makes me really concerned whenever I see water out of the tap with issues like this.  😕

I would look into those under sink filter systems for your changes. Especially for a smaller 10G tank, you have a 3-5G capacity of filtered water.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:42 PM, Newbie said:

Once BB is established, I introduce a fish, and begin my water changing cycles.. anything extra that I should be doing other than dosing prime? My BB should take care of it in time before it becomes a concern?

It should.  Especially with prime and 24 hours for the tank to process it, should be ok.