Starting a School Based Fish Club

Simo

Hi all,

Please remove if this is not allowed.

I am a teacher at Secondary School in regional Victoria (Australia) and have started a fish club at my school. The aim of the club is to reengage students after what was a very rough few years with COVID. Victoria was one of the most lockdown states in the World! I have started to fund the fish club myself by setting up a Platy and a White Cloud Tank. I would like to expand and provide more resources and tanks for about 20 students who have joined.

We are having trouble getting support as we have no local fish clubs or fish stores. The address this we have some very talented students who have  drawn a range of Aquarium Fish posters and digital prints which look fantastic in a Fish Room or displayed with tanks. If you would like to support our students and get a great looking print we would really appreciate anyone having a look at our Etsy Store: SomethingFishDesign | Etsy Australia 

Once again please remove if not allowed and thanks in advance if anyone can help us out. 

• Love 2

On 5/21/2022 at 12:21 AM, Simo said:

Hi all,

Please remove if this is not allowed.

I am a teacher at Secondary School in regional Victoria (Australia) and have started a fish club at my school. The aim of the club is to reengage students after what was a very rough few years with COVID. Victoria was one of the most lockdown states in the World! I have started to fund the fish club myself by setting up a Platy and a White Cloud Tank. I would like to expand and provide more resources and tanks for about 20 students who have joined.

We are having trouble getting support as we have no local fish clubs or fish stores. The address this we have some very talented students who have  drawn a range of Aquarium Fish posters and digital prints which look fantastic in a Fish Room or displayed with tanks. If you would like to support our students and get a great looking print we would really appreciate anyone having a look at our Etsy Store: SomethingFishDesign | Etsy Australia 

Once again please remove if not allowed and thanks in advance if anyone can help us out. 

Interesting. Do you have any information concerning your particular Fish Club accessible to online? Unless I missed it, the Etsy page does not appear to indicate any school or club connection.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 3:18 PM, Fish Folk said:

Interesting. Do you have any information concerning your particular Fish Club accessible to online? Unless I missed it, the Etsy page does not appear to indicate any school or club connection.

Hi...I am very new to Etsy and haven't updated much info about our project and i am still learning how to post items 😬. I have included some information about our  school club in item listings but due to privacy I can't provide much more information until I get further approval from our Head Office at the Dioceses. This is not a public club but rather a school based enrichment and engagement group. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 1:46 AM, Simo said:

Hi...I am very new to Etsy and haven't updated much info about our project and i am still learning how to post items 😬. I have included some information about our  school club in item listings but due to privacy I can't provide much more information until I get further approval from our Head Office at the Dioceses. This is not a public club but rather a school based enrichment and engagement group. 

Understood. The art looks lovely. My son and I teamed up for several years setting up a single aquarium in a 5th grade class and another one in a high school classroom. Here are some photos of how those aquariums looked...

5th grade year 1 (20 gal long)

709782270_ScreenShot2022-05-21at2_07_38AM.png.c7c2071741763f0418ec1fa20dd7492e.png

5th grade year 2 (33 gal long)

1652503798_ScreenShot2022-05-21at2_09_47AM.png.f8d25d146aa34ad60aa81abad21c5423.png

High School (55 gal)

1535774788_ScreenShot2022-05-21at2_12_00AM.png.eea1fefc6ebacd17f2e7c87bbb76fa9e.png

• Love 1

On 5/21/2022 at 12:49 AM, Simo said:

they look great!...would love to get a tank in a few classrooms so much for students to learn 

My best science teacher got permission from the state fish and wildlife department, and from the school, to take our class on a field trip to test water parameters and collect plants for a tank in our room. A month later, we had a second field trip where we caught fish for the tank in our room.

Our class partnered up with Fish & Wildlife to breed at risk species each school year, and release with Fish & Wildlife after fry got to a specific size.

With no local fish stores, this might be a more viable option for your kids and their club?

I know that the program continued until the teacher retired, and I believe Fish & Wildlife helped the replacement teacher keep the program going. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 2:38 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I started a fish club at my school, we already have 30 members!

What kinds of things do you guys like to do in your clubs? I am considering starting one at my school. I have lots of tanks in my classroom, but am considering getting a new one and having club members populate it with plants and animals of their choosing (after doing some research and learning about cycling tank etc…). Before I propose this to my school admin, I’d love to get a good idea of the kinds of things I could offer for activities. Also, how often do you meet?

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, Moss said:

What kinds of things do you guys like to do in your clubs? I am considering starting one at my school. I have lots of tanks in my classroom, but am considering getting a new one and having club members populate it with plants and animals of their choosing (after doing some research and learning about cycling tank etc…). Before I propose this to my school admin, I’d love to get a good idea of the kinds of things I could offer for activities. Also, how often do you meet?

Not school club but 2 adult fish clubs. Each month there is a speaker who gives a presentation on their special field of interest. That would be something educational to have students really research and give s talk on a subject that really interests them and educate the rest on that thing. They often do trivia contests and award small prizes as well. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

ive tried a school tank before, it probably failed because i am a student.

my budget on it was almost nothing, pretty much all of it was used stuff, so it had no plants, and had glofish plants, and lights for a betta. (this betta now lives in my tank.).

i ended up shutting it down since people in my grade were SO annoying about it, and were being jerks about  it.

On 2/28/2023 at 3:14 PM, Moss said:

What kinds of things do you guys like to do in your clubs?

Talking about where to get the cheapest fish or plant, exchanging plants & fish and there’s talk of an auction in my attic in the summer. 🤣 We’re all on a WhatsApp group, and some of us have had to prove to teachers that what they have in their bag is an aquarium plant and not anything else. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 6:35 AM, Theplatymaster said:

ive tried a school tank before, it probably failed because i am a student.

my budget on it was almost nothing, pretty much all of it was used stuff, so it had no plants, and had glofish plants, and lights for a betta. (this betta now lives in my tank.).

i ended up shutting it down since people in my grade were SO annoying about it, and were being jerks about  it.

Sorry that happened. Too bad you didn’t have more support from the school. Good for you for trying!

On 2/28/2023 at 9:55 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

You could educate them on what revolves around aquarium stuff @Moss. Photosynthesis, fish reproduction, bacteria.

This stuff certainly makes it into my science lessons. So good to have real examples in the classroom to help students relate to the learning more!