best place to buy a betta

meadeam

Order online, or try to save one from a big-box store?  I kind of don't want to support the sale of betta at those places if they can't care for them properly while in the store.  The LFS doesn't sell them, so it's big blue, or order online.  

Anywhere you buy a fish the seller will be making a sale and theoretically that sale will "encourage" the company to continue their practices so I would say you may as well support someone you think has good practices and quality fish.

You could check out aqua huna if you want a betta splendens, They have their betta cam so you can get an idea of the coloration and they come recommended by the Coop

Edited by Dancing Matt
  • Like 1

When selecting a Betta, I think the most important part is to take time since they have such big and varied personalities. I literally spent hours watching Bettas before I made a purchase, and actually, the Betta I got was one that picked me. I had a certain type and color in mind, but when this guy (<--- Cosmo) saw me, he perked up and started showing off. I wasn't ready for him yet, but he made a very good attempt at getting my attention, even when I walked away. He still does, every day I walk into my office.

I have spent time watching them both in stores, as well as on Aquahuna. 

• Like 2

I'm in a betta group on Facebook. I know there are a few online sellers that should be avoided. People keep mentioning one in particular because they've received unhealthy fish. The group is called Betta Keepers if you want to go ask for recommendations. 

Otherwise I just go to my lfs, stare at the fish and pick the crankiest one. Not a very precise method lol.

• Like 2

I will no longer try and "save" a betta from somewhere like Petco. They were very sickly and just didn't make it, it was very disheartening. My current and maybe last betta for a while is my giant male plakat I bought online from keepfishkeeping.com, and he is super healthy and is doing great. They work directly with a betta breeder and hand-pick all the ones they sell, so I'm confident in the quality of their bettas. I would definitely recommend ordering from them. They also have a video of the actual betta you'd be looking at to buy, so it's nice to be able to see that. 

• Like 1

Buy the best you can from where you can ( distance and wallet allowing), I agree the concept of rescuing is flawed but I bought a shops last otto just cause it was on its own a bit ago (bet the shop has that as a sales tactic now) so its just human nature and its is hard to walk away. 

I have discovered a Betta breeder and importer not very far from me but their fish start at £25 I got two (lower standard no doubt) females from a chain store for £5 (impulse purchase ) . I can't see that the extra cost would have made me any happier but some people will want the higher end pedigree. I just wanted a fish who would play with me.  So where to buy depends on what you want I suppose. My LFS will order fish (for a deposit) maybe ask why they don't stock them and see if they will get you one.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 5:41 PM, AndreaW said:

When selecting a Betta, I think the most important part is to take time since they have such big and varied personalities

Same goes for me. When I'm at the fish store I see all these different beautiful types of bettas but none of them seem to really grab my attention. But every once in a while there will be this one betta that I will just fall in love with. It can either be a really pretty koi betta or just a simple veiltail. But choosing a betta fish just takes time and you can't rush it either. Thats how I ended up with my veiltail Mr.Bubbles.

• Love 1