My 10 Gallon Journal

A3M0N

Well y'all, it's been a while again. Still super busy with work, school, etc. 

I made a change to the filter, just turned the spray bar from flowing lengthwise to back to front. It seems to be going well so far, the fish are moving well. I think I'll grab some more PVC and make the spray bar the entire length of the talk. 

The fish store included some frog bit when I got the purple harlequins, it's definitely multiplied! I like it, it's getting pushed around a good bit by the flow, but still thriving. 

IMG20230911194436.jpg.3bebcf16ffd2603411f3a36d7881de36.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2023 at 3:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

How’s the tank doing?  

It's doing well! The only inhabitants are still the 4 tetras and 1 mystery snail. The ludwigia repens mostly died out when I stopped CO2 after the incident earlier this year. However, the bacopa caroliniana has been doing great! The s. repens is thinner but hanging in there. I'll try to grab a picture this evening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a great picture, glare and reflections, but didn't want to wait until the evening to take a better one. Still have the brown algae, but it is much thinner where the reoriented spray bar is flowing. I picked up a new piece of PVC last week to extend it across the tank, that may help clear up the algae. 

I still have plans to fill it back up with harlequins and purple harlequins, I've been thinking about a few otocinclus as well. It's about time to thin out the frogbit again too. 

IMG20231127125558.jpg.e4274d6c2266eb2845533d4305e9e781.jpg

• Love 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I've still been super busy, haven't had much time to be on the forum and keep my journal updated. I feel bad for not really looking at everyone else's and commenting too! 

The first obvious thing, I treated for algae this morning before I changed the water and cleaned the tank up. As much as I respect all the work that went into RR, I just didn't have the time or energy to pull all the plants out and soak them. So I took out the filter and ran 12ml of hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes before changing the water, it looks like it dinged the algae good! I'll retreat again in the next few weeks if needed. 2nd big change, I finally cut and drilled the full length spray bar and the flow is great!

Future plans to revisit DIY yeast/sugar CO2. I know it's best to go with a pressurized system but I just don't have the income for that right now and I need to fight the algae. I've also gotten back on top of fertilizer dosing, I had really fallen off on that. And still planning to refill with harlequin and purple rasboras and a few otocinclus.

EDIT: My mystery snail died a few weeks ago, her antics are missed! I've been considering Malaysian trumpet snails to help keep the sand clean, but am afraid of them taking over. 

IMG20240106193912.jpg.09f62edd527512687fcc43232e02c208.jpg

Edited by A3M0N
  • Love 2

On 1/6/2024 at 6:51 PM, A3M0N said:

The first obvious thing, I treated for algae this morning before I changed the water and cleaned the tank up. As much as I respect all the work that went into RR, I just didn't have the time or energy to pull all the plants out and soak them. So I took out the filter and ran 12ml of hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes before changing the water, it looks like it dinged the algae good! I'll retreat again in the next few weeks if needed. 2nd big change, I finally cut and drilled the full length spray bar and the flow is great!

Looks like it worked really well!  That's awesome.  My gut tells me to urge you to repeat the treatment in 2-3 days just to really give it the beans.  BBA is really annoying and one tip/technique I've heard is that the first treatment only wounds it and makes it fight you, the second treatment actually kills it!

Please keep us posted on how that goes in the next few weeks for you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A quick update! Still only my 4 little friends, 3 purple rasboras and 1 harlequin. I've run several rounds of hydrogen peroxide, but they were at least a week apart, so not as close together to really kill all the algae but doing a good job keeping it down.

I got the DIY co2 rockin again. My first batch lasted about 2 weeks, not too bad. I'm still researching the best for my co2 solution, right now I'm content with the yeast/sugar method in a 1 liter bottle. I did get a drop checker to be sure of what's going on. I'll probably get back onto the EI fertilizer schedule soon too, the plants have shot up since adding the co2. Hopefully soon they can out compete the algae. 

Question: I still have plans to get a few otocinclus. Will they eat the dead algae? 

IMG20240309164351.jpg.20e8e9ac176fab0571fb59e95c305799.jpg

• Like 1