Kuhli loach suddenly dead

Just a Pygmy Corydora

It's difficult to no for sure unexplained death can be caused by a number of things what your nitrates and nitrites and kH also have you resently done a water change and if so did your add a water dechlorinator like prime what the temperature of your tank

On 5/16/2022 at 8:40 AM, Colu said:

It's difficult to no for sure unexplained death can be caused by a number of things what your nitrates and nitrites and kH also have you resently done a water change and if so did your add a water dechlorinator like prime what the temperature of your tank

I did a water change about 1 week ago and I add the “Prime” dechlorinator. The temperature was 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The Pygmy corydoras are looking fine.

What is the base temp of the tank; sudden temp change will kill kuhli loaches; i had 2 of my 11 die when my heater in the water change bucket failed and the tank went from 78 to 73 during water change. Kuhli also prefer warmer temps in general and a tank with kuhli and pygmy i would try for 77 or 78. With just pymgy i would go a bit closer to 76. 

-

There are many species of fishes that will suffer horribly if water temp change suddenly by 5 or 6 degrees so it is best to try to warm the new water to a temp similar to the tank.

First 70 and even 75 is really too cool for kuhli loaches to begin with; and staying between 70 and 75 is a range. Not changing is if the tank is 75 the temp doesn't change from 75. 5 degree drop from 75 to 70 would be enough to kill it.

-

2nd khuhli should be kept in large groups and the only 'kuhli' like loach i would consider in a 5 is sheffordi (sp) which is much smaller but similar length.

-

• Like 1