JoeQ 10g (non 'turn down your light' ) Algea erratic-cation

JoeQ

The assassins will eat the babies and juveniles. 😟

When I looked into dosing just 1-2 individual nutrients my plants were lacking all was great until I tried iron. For me in my tanks even a tiny dose of iron caused mega BBA. I’m glad you are an algae fan. Bad for aquascapes but incredibly healthy for ecosystems. 

Algae produces more oxygen on the planet than trees is my understanding. Much research is being done to control carbon emissions with algae. 

Health food and sports drinks are now touting being made with algae because of its nutritional properties. 

Im very obviously an algae fan 🤣

On 11/22/2023 at 7:41 AM, Guppysnail said:

The assassins will eat the babies and juveniles. 😟

When I looked into dosing just 1-2 individual nutrients my plants were lacking all was great until I tried iron. For me in my tanks even a tiny dose of iron caused mega BBA. I’m glad you are an algae fan. Bad for aquascapes but incredibly healthy for ecosystems. 

Algae produces more oxygen on the planet than trees is my understanding. Much research is being done to control carbon emissions with algae. 

Health food and sports drinks are now touting being made with algae because of its nutritional properties. 

Im very obviously an algae fan 🤣

I wasn't just dosing macros, I was trying a poor mans perpetual dosing system which was dosing small quantities of macros & micros (different bottles)  nightly at the same time, after the lights turned off. My macros were mixed for a 1ml dose (1 pump) per 10g, my micros were dosed for 2ml (1 pump) per 5g. It was working well until I started dosing 20g worth of macros to 10g worth of micros!. Resulting in algea growing to absorb the excess nutrients. If I had realized & turned up the light this "problem" could (i think) have been avoided.  Altho then (i think) i would have been micro deficient.  Maybe when I get my 10g back on track ill need to run that experiment. Overdosing micro to see what happens. 

Singing in my head to the tune of 'dont fear the reaper' 

🎵 Don't fear da algae! 🎵

As far as the snails, yes I know they will get eaten, it was tongue in cheek! Generally you can only pair assassins with snails they can't turn over, namely big nerite snails. 

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes I get algae now and then too, which was caused by under dosing Ferts & on a sporadic basis, neglected tank maintenance (IE water quality). Course taken to fix will be a good trim, remove unhealthy growth, regular water changes and a consistent dosing schedule. Slightly over dosing will be better than under dosing.  A REGULAR water change will rebalance the system.  TURNING DOWN THE LIGHT WILL NOT CORRECT THIS!!!

20240320_104843.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...