JoeQ 10g (non 'turn down your light' ) Algea erratic-cation

JoeQ

Picture taken last night after water change, nerite back to finishing up the filter algea. And picture of a big stinky clump of blue green algea floating in the back this morning

20220612_165744.jpg

20220613_104056.jpg

Edited by JoeQ

• 2 weeks later...

This is most likely the last picture of the algea part of the program which is becoming boring to me. Today along with water changing and filter cleaning I also removed the hornwort & scrubbed the versa tap (which is where that huge chunk of BG algea fell from). I also planted some AR & H'ra to see if I can grow them in this tank, (which I might have to increase the light for) along with changing the bubblers schedule to night time only. There is still algea on old leaves which ill trim occasionally as new ones grow. 

20220622_151416.jpg

• 5 months later...

The more I think about it, there isn't much to do with the Hair Algea portion of this thread, but ill still update in case it can help people in the future.  My plans of today are (since its water change day) to remove what I can manually.  Remove/ trim some dead or Algea covered growth. And lightly gravel vac, targeting areas with debris during todays 50% water change.I'll also be separating the trimmings into 2 groups, one that gets a quick dip in peroxide and another that gets the Reverse Respiration method @Guppysnail(which I haven't tried yet). I also previously replaced a struggling air pump with a similar model. That should be all for now, if plans/procedures change I'll let yas know. 

• Like 1

Big haircut today, got rid of lots of unhealthy growth,  rubbed a lot of algea off leaves and a good surface gravel vac. The new air pump also improved flow immensely.  My focus today was on improving WATER QUALITY!  The only thing I regret is not getting a pic before clipping a few stems for reverse respiration for comparison.... Otherwise one big happy family!

2 Honey Gouramis

4 Julie Coreys

1 Otto

2 Nerites

More Assassin Snails then i can count.....

Tomorrow ill peroxide a few stems, replant & see if there is much of a difference between methods.

Edit: I  also stole some Java Fern from my big tank and glued it to a rock, because...... WHY NOT!!!

20221218_185013.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

Before I start trimming & replanting I wanted to post a picture for comparison of the hair algea left, and also how much debris the new pump is kicking up. Tonight i also plan to run the remaining piece of Ludwigia (on left attached to filter) through the Reverse Respiration protocol just to see the results (RR is less convenient than the easy peroxide method but IMO from reading the thread (placeholder link) has a lot more upside. With that said, stay tuned!

20221219_094144.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
Clearity

@Guppysnail

Here are the results after both sets had time to settle in. The peroxide group is pointed to in blue, the RR method is pointed to in red. 

iMarkup_20221219_133721.jpg.1c61d92148e5037fc557d62d7ece6b50.jpg

While the RR process was a pain in the butt (12h over night soak while being weighted down in seltzer water, then a 3h soak in dechlorinated water with a airstone running) it did produce a better result, both with color (as you can see) And with less damage to the stem itself.

That's not saying I am done using the no fuss peroxide method. I think each method has its place. But for me,  the quick and easy method, with a "thats good enough" result, will win in most cases.

If you haven't tried the RR method definitely check it out, it is a good tool to have in your algea knowledge arsenal!  What im intrested in most is seeing if the claims of helping kick off growth will pan out, but for that we'll have to wait.

My plans going foward are this, ill be concentrating on Water quality with weekly or bi weekly water changes/Gravel vac & leaf care (example; trimming, cleaning)  along with filter maintenance. The airstone will run 24/7, and EZ Green will be dosed 1 - 2 a week, along with potassium periodically for my java fern. As for lighting,  this morning I pushed it up from 28% to 33%.. As for scraping green dust algae,  the only scraping ill be doing is one the front glass so I can see. As always if plans change ill list them, along with hopefully a weekly progress pick. And with that said,  LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

On 12/19/2022 at 2:34 PM, JoeQ said:

claims of helping kick off growth will pan

This has not gone through any testing so it is not a claim. Myself and a few other just happened to notice it seemed to do this. No before /after weights or measures were used etc. 

Im glad RR worked for you. Let us know if is seems to give your plants a boost. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 3:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

This has not gone through any testing so it is not a claim. Myself and a few other just happened to notice it seemed to do this. No before /after weights or measures were used etc. 

Im glad RR worked for you. Let us know if is seems to give your plants a boost. 

Thanks, I must of read that wrong.  With the 2 occupying almost the same space, with almost the same light and same flow it'll be easy to monitor. Tonight ill also be doing the filter  Ludwigia which will be interesting to compare before/after pics

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you could take photos throughout that would be great! Looking forward to seeing what you get to see. 

There is a picture of the stem in question posted above, ill try to get a better one in a bit

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, rockfisher said:

I love the the RR method but I find my self falling back to the hydrogen peroxide for some reason(probably laziness). 

I'm also big on it and can't wait to see this mornings results.  But like you im also incredibly lazy and unless im doing a huge cleanup ill probably resort to a quick peroxide dip.

• Like 1

This post was written days ago but delayed because of forced celebration......

Here is a rundown of the latested RR

This is a before picture, both side and front view.

20221219_163847.jpg.c14d1c36b533b8a9f3c3991f55cf1b7d.jpg

20221219_173754.jpg.c387dcd12416f7e7338743ea13a21280.jpg

At about 6:45pm a short stem of Ludwigia began its overnight 12h weighted soak in what I thought was seltzer water, but come to find out Pelaggrino is mineral water.....  (i didnt know there was a difference) which is where maybe I made a mistake? 

20221219_184724.jpg.927c94c7e88fca200dac58c667eb9123.jpg

20221219_184754.jpg.a39ca544f8f3d6d3a535e8d5151816f1.jpg

20221219_185518.jpg.bee6257d9e8a1015507ee706d0e29e3a.jpg

The next morning it was then off to a 3~4h weighted soak, fully submerged in dechlorinated water running an air stone.

20221220_065546.jpg.41b37e5715e9be597a65db09688688c8.jpg20221220_072303.jpg.010c0902468bd3c8ee3d99bf9e9372e1.jpg

Here were the results,  its definitely clearer and greener but the hair algae is still intact and the stem has not "woken up" hours after its soak.

20221220_104443.jpg.c86d245288c9667365db9dd9d8e7d926.jpg

20221220_104427.jpg.181d42231980831f404009cb490f969b.jpg

In the end I think if I messed up anywhere it was either from using mineral water, or the stem was damaged by the current the airstone created. 

I'm less impressed with the RR method than earlier in the week  The primary reason is, even some stems in the first RR group have not opened 48h+ later (a primary indicator that a plant is reacting  properly to the light) while the peroxide group had no issues 

20221221_090208.jpg.97d57ab017d12bde5f99c59397611f9b.jpg20221221_090133.jpg.5599319a20a0086440eaf83f0b555ca2.jpg

20221221_093201.jpg.566238db526a80d44ffd2993829cacf0.jpg

I think when I get some free time ill top a stem and give it a quick seltzer water dip, then replant and see what happens.

@Guppysnail

As far as the hair algea I haven't had a chance to do any manual maintenance but I'm 90% sure it's from a nutritional imbalance. The prime suspect is low to no calcium.. Non the less, since I like to tinker I also dialed down my white settings by 2 and upped my blue by 2 on account of reading white promotes hair algae and blue deters it.

Source; https://fishcareguide.com/complete-guide-to-hair-algae/

Edited by JoeQ
Site source

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Little fertilizer fun, using the EI Macro/Micro method.  I still have some hair algae which probably can best be resolved by placement,  but I'm far too lazy for any actual physical work!  Soooooo, let's see what happens! 

20230123_100111.jpg

Edited by JoeQ

One week update, good growth with the EI dosing, but hair algea on tall stems, and green dust algae on glass. White light got turned down a bit, blue red & green got increased. Hopefully the green dust will out compete the hair algae. Lets see what happens! 

20230129_180620.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That little petco score makes me irrationally happy to see doing well. If you’re still struggling with black beard algae when the weather warms in spring let me know. My Taia naticoides piano snails love black beard algae. I’ve not seen a drop in any tank since shortly after adding them. 
I still have a few. @Elodie Rose took over that breeding project for me. It’s what happens when snail girl meets soft water dwarf cichlids and falls in love with them 🤣

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, Guppysnail said:

That little petco score makes me irrationally happy to see doing well. If you’re still struggling with black beard algae when the weather warms in spring let me know. My Taia naticoides piano snails love black beard algae. I’ve not seen a drop in any tank since shortly after adding them. 
I still have a few. @Elodie Rose took over that breeding project for me. It’s what happens when snail girl meets soft water dwarf cichlids and falls in love with them 🤣

I wouldn't say im 'struggling", I'm actually a huge algae fan!! This was the result of massively overdosing Macros long term because I have one odd bottle with a 1ml dose per pump....... What bothers me is why over dosing macros caused more BBA to appear than green algae which would be preferred over BBA. The hair algae is easy to trigger which I think is from having potting clay in the substrate. My 15g will be a good control because it does not. So it'll be fun to see if I can trigger it there. 

Point of interest, both my 36g and my 10g exploded with lily's (after I noticed my dosing error) I wonder if this has something to do with the seasons and my tank water being on the colder side? 

As for the snails thanks for the offer but do they play nice with Assassin Snails? I wouldn't want them hurting my poor assassins!! 🤣

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1