JoeQ 36g Journal, notes & random pictures

JoeQ

On 5/17/2023 at 2:16 PM, Guppysnail said:

Now I’m hungry…Thanks 

That is very cool. Did you cook the shrimp or put the legs in raw?

It was cooked, i figure next time I'll try raw. This was an impromptu snail meal, you never know where inspiration will strike!!! 

I also probably won't try lump crab meat in the tank, too much salt! I'll probably boil whole crabs and give them body sections! 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:02 PM, Guppysnail said:

I will be happy to come sit in your tank if you are throwing lump crab meat in $$$

Let me know how the raw goes please. 

I will both let you know how raw goes and welcome you to inhabit my tank for free food. If I were you I would pack a sweater tho, I usually keep my tanks at a chilly 74 degrees. 😂

Edited by JoeQ
Typeo
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Guppysnail Evidently nerites love carrots as well, Real food for the win! 

20230527_073525.jpg.9d9d207ac6fe4e8808b70d1c455f44e4.jpg

I'll also probably skip raw seafoods for my assassins on account of the chance of introducing too much salt into my tanks. 

Edit: As for my big beautiful clump of BBA, I shall name him George!  😂

Edited by JoeQ
  • Love 2

On 5/27/2023 at 8:14 AM, Guppysnail said:

After my nerites eliminated every stitch of green algae they now eat zucchini and green beans. I’ll have to pick up carrots at the market this week for them. 

Did you blanch the carrot?

They were boiled for human consumption but never really softened up,... Again, another case of an impromptu snail snack when I saw them sitting in the fridge. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posted for others who may be intrest in DYI ferts as well as redundancy in case of data loss.

9-16-23 EI Macro
*Best mix to date*

Kno3 – 34.3g, KH2PO4 – 5.2g, 296ml Purified H20

A dose of 2ml per 5g every other day will add

NO3 - 7.5ppm, PO4 -1.3ppm, K-5.2ppm.

Edit:

10-3-23 EI Micro

CSM+B - 13.7g, 296 purified h2o. A dose 2ml per 5g every other day will add:

Fe - 0.32ppm

11-6-23 EI Macro *Added K2SO4 adds additional 2.23ppm K*

Kno3 – 34.14g, KH2PO4 – 5.20g, K2SO4 - 13.87g

295ml Purified H20. 2ml per 5g every other day will add

NO3 - 7.5ppm, PO4 -1.3ppm, K-7.5ppm, S – 0.91ppm.

11-6-23 EI Micro

CSM+B – 13.68g, 295ml Purified H2O

2ml Per 5g every other day will add:

Fe - 0.32, Mn - 0.09, Cu - 0, Mg - 0.07, Zn - 0.02, Mo - 0, B - 0.04, dGH - 0.02

Edited by JoeQ
Noted
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 1:19 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Notice how that K level is rising? Try having K 10ppm higher than NO3 accumulation total /wink. 

Cool thanks! My only concern with that is solubility issues. I think I can add a total of 28.9g of K2SO4 to 295mg of H2O with no Issues but after that I hit solubility issues.

My next tweak will probably be a small everyother day cal/mg dose that won't blowup my water hardness

And recommendations ppm wise?

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 4:12 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

For plants, 24ppm Ca and 8ppm Mg is plenty. So source water plus whatever you need to reach these numbers.

Thanks, I think im at 60ppm calcium and 12 or under magnesium.  I'm not sure if I was calcium deficit at one time or that my over fertilization of potassium caused my plants to be unavailable to process calcium. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd post a status picture before I wake up one morning and get annoyed enough to go all Edward Scissor hands on this jungle! Which I know is going to become an all day project once I start pulling threads on this proverbial sweater........... 😮‍💨

20231120_074309.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
I can't Engrish....
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

On 11/20/2023 at 4:47 AM, JoeQ said:

before I wake up one morning and get annoyed enough to go all Edward Scissor hands on this jungle!

I did this.... And then my tank stopped growing!

It was a mix of things I imagine and not the massive "please be kind to me" trim of the PSO.  Question, knowing what you know/see now, would you still have selected the PSO as one of your background plants?

On 11/20/2023 at 11:38 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Question, knowing what you know/see now, would you still have selected the PSO as one of your background plants

I'd get it again with no problem, (if I had to). 
I didn't really buy it for tank esthetic(s). I more bought it as something that would grow fast, big and help out compete algae. 

I have a mass of Pogo floating in my new 15g and so far not a remarkable amount of algae....... It's kind of disappointing! 😕

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...