JoeQ 36g Journal, notes & random pictures

JoeQ

Mayaca Sellowiniana round 2, I think first time I failed because I did not know to look for a plants reaction to tell if it's getting an adequate amount of light. Bentleys DaySim was pushed to 40% before an appropriate responce was recieved. 

20240114_154741.jpg

• Like 5

Posted as an example that you can transition a dwarf aquarium lilly from producing only surface lillys to producing submerged growth again.  My solution was clipping the lilly (pictured above)  when there was a visible sprout emerging.  

iMarkup_20240125_103425.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/8/2024 at 2:39 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

definitely captures more light!  You can probably mess with the iso / shutter and have some fun. 🙂

My last picture was taken with my 3.0 at 100%, I can't take pictures during the day on account of window reflection.  In the previous pictures I forgot to increase the lighting before taking pictures.

I'll probably fool with the camera settings tonight,  it's  the only reason for getting a new phone, take better pictures of my tanks!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest news concerning this tank (and my others) I originally identified a filament algae I deal with as Spirogyra. It's not a horrible problem,  and "seems to be" fueled by excess phosphates. Having a lot of free time on my hands and after A well meaning member offered to microscopicly ID it for me it became my white whale......... And that my friends is how a new hobby is born!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Below are pictures of the enemy in it's infancy taken at 100x, 250x, and 1000x

20240228_104918.jpg.3781eb828a8664b782499144904c3e76.jpg

20240228_110231.jpg.f62f9304506c805bff41c575b9a5e367.jpg

20240228_110943.jpg.8c27aba2efa3d8273205db9d3e571a43.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Turned my canister off to skim 3 days ago and forgot to turn it back on... Everyone seems ok, guess this is a good time as any to see if plants, 1 large box filter and periodically skimming can effectively filter a 36g!

Edited by JoeQ

Just a couple of cool organisms I found in my fish water today. Yeah, im pretty sure from now on ill be washing my hands in bleach after putting them in any of my tank(s)!!!😱

20240307_190000.jpg

20240307_185721.jpg

20240307_164113.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Canister has been off since (about) the end of February in favor of a box filter and my water has never been clearer! Which IMO is my trouble with growing Mayaca Sellowiniana, finer leaves need more polished water. Zero ammonia, or cycling issues either. Anywho, restructuring underway, blackout curtains installed (better but not perfect). Outflow removed and a spot made for another box filter (altho im not sure I need it) and A good trim is in progress... The only question is: what will become of George? My beloved tuft of BBA!

**pictures to be uploaded, technical issues***

20240313_114114.jpg.c708382b032af9f57b5d9e3c3161ba08.jpg

20240313_114300.jpg.7e6d0d934ac74e103026a1ee6c2bdbe7.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 8:30 AM, JoeQ said:

Algae lab identification pdf

Screenshot_20240308_082651_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20240308_082722_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20240308_082743_Samsung Notes.jpg

Where did this come from. I would love to access the full guide. It’s not selling aquarium products so you can post the link if you do not mind please. 

I

must admit I will be sad if George does not continue to thrive.  Maybe make a 1 gallon jug tank with an airstone and some bright red or orange neocaridina 

On 3/13/2024 at 12:52 PM, Guppysnail said:

Where did this come from. I would love to access the full guide. It’s not selling aquarium products so you can post the link if you do not mind please. 

I found it in a pdf, which i tried to post but the format isn't allowed. Ill post the link (which I should of done in the first place) in a bit when I find it again.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 12:52 PM, Guppysnail said:

I

must admit I will be sad if George does not continue to thrive.  Maybe make a 1 gallon jug tank with an airstone and some bright red or orange neocaridina 

Here is the download link:

https://wcwc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Algae-identification-lab-guide.pdf

As for George I have noticed him not doing as well since ive changed from edta iron to an Edta + Dtpa iron source. Half of me wants to see if he degrades further over time. The other part of me wants to put him in my guppy tank to see if they will do substantial damage to BBA. Both my lone female guppy (in my main tank) and honey gourami enjoy picking on him. And then a tiny part of me wants him to stick around and do well because hes familar,  & like an old friend!

Edited by JoeQ
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 12:43 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I am thinking of getting the topfin 36 gallon bowfront soon. Is that the tank you have?

if so, what do you think about it? What did you do for the lid?

Im not sure of the make but it's the one they sell at petsmart.  For the lid there is a versa top they also sell. My thoughts on it is neutral,  its a tank that has held up well, the only downside is its acrylic and scratches pretty easy. Something I only found out in hindsight.

Also the other thing is placement, pick your placement wisely.  If placed across from any windows you will get reflections. Also something I noticed in hindsight.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 9:43 AM, macdaddy36 said:

I am thinking of getting the topfin 36 gallon bowfront soon. Is that the tank you have?

if so, what do you think about it? What did you do for the lid?

I had the marineland version.  It was a very high quality tank (from that brand), but I cannot speak to the top fin brand.  I do recommend ensuring top fin has the lid and hopefully the glass is thicker.  I had general eye discomfort issues with seeing through the curved glass and that ultimately led me to change out the tank with a standard rectangle 55G one.  Beyond that, it's like a "fancy" taller tank and you have to work a bit to fill the vertical space.  It's a great size, works well, and easy to maintain.

• 3 weeks later...